Specialist - Berkeley Energy & Climate Institute
Specialist – Berkeley Energy & Climate Institute
The Berkeley Energy and Climate Institute (BECI) at UC Berkeley is seeking candidates for appointment as Specialist to support and pursue research projects in the Enabling Technology Development Program.
Berkeley Energy and Climate Institute (BECI) is the coordinating hub for energy and climate research at UC Berkeley. BECI fosters collaboration between UC Berkeley, the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) and other external partners. The Institute promotes interdisciplinary research by integrating science, technology, business and policy. BECI is dedicated to advancing energy and climate research and innovation.
The appointee will conduct research under the supervision of the Director of BECI and the Director of Enabling Technology Development Program (ETDP). The ETD Program develops the technology needed to enable “demand responsive” (DR) systems that will allow for real-time pricing of electricity. The program develops and tests components including real-time electricity meters, thermostats, and control devices for use in typical California homes. Some of the ongoing projects are:
a) XBOS-DR: Customer-Controlled, Price Mediated, Automated Demand Response for Commercial Buildings.
b) HAMILTON: Flexible, Open Source $10 Wireless Sensor System for Energy Efficient Building Operation.
c) CHANGING THE RULES: Innovative Low-Energy Occupant-Responsive HVAC Controls & Systems.
Job duties for the Specialist position will include:
• Conduct independent research, towards specific goals of the Enabling Technology Development (ETD) Program
• Participate in the development of critical R&D tools, in particular in design, modeling, and analysis; which advance the mission of ETD
• Collaborate closely with partner laboratories and universities associated with ETD to further advance enabling technologies.
• Collaborate with other members of ETD to fully leverage expertise and capabilities for advanced ETD R&D.
• Contribute to ongoing ETD projects in areas of research, development, design, commissioning , and performance testing
• Contribute to publications in refereed journals and to presentation of findings in conference proceedings.
• Conduct technology transfer through development and posting of web page content.
Basic Minimum Qualifications (required at time of application):
• MS or MA and or equivalent degree in Architecture, Engineering, Applied Science, or a related
Additional Qualifications (required by start date):
• Minimum of 7 years of work experience in the following areas:
o Application of modeling techniques applied to Building Energy Efficiency and Demand Response
o Control of buildings for Energy Efficiency and Demand Response
• Demonstrated understanding of Building Automation Systems and Building Energy Systems.
• Published record of research in Building Energy Efficiency and Demand Response.
• Ability to work well in a multidisciplinary team environment.
• Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills and ability to interact effectively with all members of ETD Program including other scientists, post-docs, students, and technical support staff.
• Familiarity with web-based technology transfer and outreach.
This is a 1-year full-time term appointment with the possibility of renewal for an additional year based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs. Salary will be commensurate with experience. The anticipated start date for this position is fall 2017.
To apply, please upload your most recently updated Curriculum Vitae (required), a cover letter (required), statement of research (required) and contact information for 3 references (required) to http://apptrkr.com/1084375
Letters of reference are not required at this time. We will seek your permission before contacting your references.
All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality (http://apo.berkeley.edu/evalltr.html) prior to submitting their letters.
This position will remain open until filled. Please address any inquiries to Tracy Turner at email@example.com
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct