ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (5-year tenure track) in Supply Chain Management and Social Responsibility
The Department of Marketing at the Hanken School of Economics invites applications for:
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (5-year tenure track)
in Supply Chain Management and Social Responsibility, esp. Humanitarian Logistics, starting as soon as possible
In this position, you will be welcomed as part of our Supply Chain Management and Social Responsibility subject in the Department of Marketing, as well as the Humanitarian Logistics and Supply Chain Research Institute (HUMLOG), at the Hanken School of Economics in Helsinki, Finland.
We are interested in recruiting a humanitarian logistics and supply chain management scholar of high international standard and potential. This tenure track position is part of a cross-disciplinary initiative at the Hanken School of Economics, between humanitarian logistics, on one hand, and finance and statistics, on the other. To support this, the ideal candidate will have expertise in combining empirical quantitative approaches and perspectives to the study of related to finance and humanitarian logistics. In substantive terms, the ideal candidate's areas of expertise may include (but are not limited to) some of the following: quantitative risk management, supply chain finance, supply chain costing, blockchain, and inventory costing. The ideal applicant will further possess expertise in machine learning, as applied to humanitarian logistics.
Joining our faculty, you will benefit from and contribute to a thriving scientific environment at a triple crown-accredited university business school (AACSB, EQUIS, AMBA accreditations), becoming part of a group of highly active researchers with high productivity in publishing, numerous global projects, and a strong international profile. You will find more information about the relevant units here:
- Supply Chain Management and Social Responsibility: https://www.hanken.fi/en/about-hanken/organisation/departments-and-subjects/department-marketing/subject-supply-chain
- HUMLOG Institute: https://www.hanken.fi/humloginstitute
The location of the position is in Helsinki, the capital of Finland. Helsinki has been regarded as one of the most livable cities in the world (http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2016/08/daily-chart-14; https://monocle.com/film/affairs/most-liveable-city-helsinki/). Finland, as a country, is ranked as the best-governed country in the world (http://www.prosperity.com/rankings), as well as among the top 5 happiest countries (http://worldhappiness.report/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/03/HR17.pdf) - due to, inter alia, high level of equality and safety; free, high-quality education at both primary, secondary, and university levels; affordable healthcare and childcare; and competitiveness and innovativeness of the business sector.
As an Assistant Professor you will conduct scholarly research, teach and contribute to programme development, supervise students, engage in international collaboration and research projects, and carry out some service/administrative tasks. As a tenure-track position, the employment is for a fixed term of 5 years at the beginning. After the 5-year period, you will have the opportunity to obtain tenure or a permanent position as an associate professor (and later in a position as full professor) upon fulfilling the university's criteria for career advancement in terms of high-quality research and publications, teaching, and service.
More specifically, as Assistant Professor you will be responsible for:
- Conducting research that meets high international levels, publishing your research in high-quality journals, and communicating the results of your work to the business community and to society at large,
- Contributing to the research efforts and the development of new research capabilities and projects of the relevant units (department, subject, and research institute),
- Contributing to the competence development of students by providing research-based teaching and supervision at BSc, MSc, and PhD levels in Supply Chain Management and Social Responsibility,
- Contributing to development of the curriculum,
- Contributing to internal and external collaboration, and to applications of externally funded research projects,
- Contributing to administration of the relevant units.
The annual working time in the position is 1624 hours. The location of the position is in Helsinki. During semesters, you are expected to spend a minimum average of three days per week at the Department in Helsinki in order to actively contribute to the research and teaching environment. Teaching tasks are allocated based on the curriculum needs of the subject of Supply Chain Management and Social Responsibility.
As eligibility requirements, applicants for the position are required to have (a) a PhD degree within the subject of supply chain management or closely related major and (b) fluent command of English, both written and oral. The following qualifications are considered as further merits when evaluating applicants:
- Existing academic publications
- High fit between the candidate's profile and the position's targeted areas of expertise (see the 2nd paragraph of this announcement above)
- High-quality plans and high potential for future academic research projects and publications (incl. publications in preparation and “pipeline”);
- Teaching experience in varied courses of supply chain management and quantitative analysis, experience of supervising students, and teaching skills (incl. pedagogical studies)
Swedish language skills are also considered a merit. The recruited candidate will be expected to later learn the basics of the Swedish language.
Given the researcher focus of the tenure track, strong merits related to the first three qualifications above are prioritised in evaluating and ranking applicants. The applicant should him/herself pinpoint and describe the fit between the targeted areas of expertise of the position, and his/her research efforts, publication track record and pipeline, and teaching experience in the application documents.
Suitable applicants will be interviewed either in person or through videoconferencing. Final short-listed candidates will be invited for a campus visit and teaching demonstration at Hanken School of Economics in Helsinki.
The salary for the tenure-track Assistant Professor is based on the university salary system in Finland (including employee healthcare as well as pension and holiday contributions); the exact salary level depends upon the recruited individual's qualifications and performance. Beyond the salary, the university's foundation grants faculty members substantial publication awards for high-quality publications.
Enquiries may be directed to Head of Subject, Professor Gyöngyi Kovács, Tel. +358 40 3521 241, e-mail email@example.com or Head of Department Professor Jaakko Aspara, Tel. +358 40 352 1532, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants are welcomed to submit applications prior to the deadline, and encouraged to enquire about possibility to meet the recruitment team in person at conferences (e.g., DSI and other logistics/SCM conferences).
An application letter, including the following separate attachments,
- Publication list
- Selected, max. 5 recent publications in PDF form
- Teaching portfolio (i.e. experience and philosophies of teaching and curriculum development; incl. possible student feedback; track records of pedagogical courses)
- Research statement/plan including a demonstration of the applicant's fit with the position, description of current and planned research, publications in the pipeline, and funding obtained for various projects
shall be submitted via Hanken's web page (https://www.hanken.fi/en/about-hanken/working-hanken/job-opportunities) by November 15th, 2017. All the above attachments are mandatory for the applicant to be considered for the position. In addition, other relevant documents (e.g. certificates, recommendations) may be submitted with the application.
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and