Director, Rare Diseases
We seek a talented, experienced and motivated Director to assist in developing the preclinical data package to support advancement of Moderna's mRNA technology platform and pipeline. The successful candidate will drive the preclinical in vitro and in vivo pharmacology effort to validate the potential of novel mRNA therapeutics in the Rare Diseases therapeutic area. The successful candidate will lead the biochemistry and cell biology efforts, design and execute experiments, supervise laboratory personnel, present results internally and externally and manage collaborations and CROs. Applicants should be outstanding team members and have extensive experience in project management. Experience in Rare Diseases and Metabolic Disorders required. The ability to effectively communicate across internal multi-disciplinary teams and with external partners is required. The candidate will need to manage multiple project in a fast-move and results-oriented environment.
- Manage multiple projects of moderate to large size and scope involving cross-functional collaboration within Discovery and across departments. Provide scientific expertise, guidance and strategy to successfully bring programs to Go/No Go decisions.
- Lead a team of biologists to develop, optimize, validate and execute biochemical and/or cellular assays to support drug discovery projects, including assay development, and running of assays for mRNA research
- Provide expert level guidance in designing and implementing cell biology, biochemistry and biomarker related studies for rare diseases
- Ability to manage and supervise scientists to meet project timelines and teach direct reports assay and trouble shooting skills
- Develop and manage relationship with clients. Have good communication skills, especially be capable of communicating effectively to discuss project progress, interpret and present data to clients
- Lead external collaborations. Act as a scientific resource providing guidance and mentorship to colleagues.
- A Ph.D. degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology or Immunology with 15+ years of overall experience, with 5-10 years of experience specifically in drug discovery experience at pharmaceutical, biotech or CRO
- Solid background and training in his or her own fields of studies and in conducting research using the latest drug discovery technologies and advances in science
- Managerial capabilities and good knowledge and experience in biologics and track record of making contributions to advance therapeutics from concept to proof-of concept in-vivo onto clinical candidate
- Familiarity with animal models used in Rare Disease research
- Extensive hands on experience in setting up in vitro and ex vivo biochemical assays
- Familiarity with disease biomarkers
- Experience in drug discovery or translational research in a biotech setting
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.