Academic assistant, area of Road Engineering - Asphalt & Bitumen Mechanics
For its Department of Construction Engineering and the research group of sustainable Energy & Materials in Infrastructure and Buildings (EMIB) the Faculty of Applied Engineering is seeking to fill a full-time vacancy for an
Academic assistant in the area of Road Engineering - Asphalt & Bitumen Mechanics
- Your research assignment (50%) is situated in the research group Energy & Materials in Infrastructure and Buildings (EMIB).
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in the field of Road Engineering - Asphalt and Bitumen Mechanics: modelling the oxidative aging process of bitumen within a continuum thermodynamic framework. As a PhD student you publish scientific articles related to the research project of the assignment.
- Your teaching assignment (50%) in the Bachelor's and Master's Programmes of Civil Engineering Technology is to prepare, teach and evaluate seminars and tutorials in your field (incl for the courses Finite Elements and Design of Steel and Wood Structures).
Profile and requirements
- You hold a Master's degree in engineering, preferably construction or mechanical engineering, applied engineering sciences, applied physics or polymer chemistry - or equivalent.
- You are interested in materials modelling and numerical simulations as well as in collaborating closely with experimental researchers.
- You can submit outstanding academic results.
- Students in the final year of their degree can also apply, provided that they graduate before the date of appointment.
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university's policy.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You are good at planning and organising and can work independently.
- an appointment as an academic assistant for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal twice for a further two-year period after positive evaluation;
- the date of appointment will be 1 January 2018;
- a full time gross monthly salary ranging from € 3.272,69 - € 5.538,41;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment in a young and innovative faculty.
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 18 October 2017.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- The candidates who will be invited for an interview, will be asked to prepare for a discussion of a publication related to the domain of the vacancy and provided by the selection commission, together with the invitation. The general research topic is “Asphalt and Bitumen Mechanics: modelling oxidative aging in bitumen within a continuum thermodynamic framework”.
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place on 6 November 2017.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact the Head of Department, professor Amaryllis Audenaert (firstname.lastname@example.org). Concerning the PhD research, interested candidates should contact the promotor, professor Uwe Muehlich (email@example.com - tel. +32 (3)265 19 64).
- More information about the application form can be obtained from firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and