Wearable Deep Learning Researcher
imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nano-electronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create ground-breaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer.
IDLab Research group
In our research group, we focus on distributed deep learning integrated into the Internet of Things. The major challenge we tackle is the support for heterogeneity of devices (e.g. robots, wearables, sensor systems). With software distribution as our primary tool, we investigate the trade-offs about the location where to execute parts of the neural network. The practical benefits of distributed deep learning are recognized by many companies in Flanders and beyond, which translates in many research projects and related novel research questions. As a result, we have now a vacancy for an additional researcher to tackle the actual needs of our industry partners embedded into the framework of a more generic research track.
Where mathematical models of an environment are hard to design exactly, deep learning is often relied on to provide the magic. The current trend for adaptive, intelligent products typically relies on sensor data processing algorithms that need to be robust for alternating product configurations and difference amongst users. The candidate will mainly investigate how deep learning is leveraged for the design of such algorithms. Besides the mere deploy-time calibration of such algorithms for the whole lifespan of the product, algorithms that keep evolving during the use of the product are subject of the research track as well. Initially, the application area of the research will be primarily situated in the field of healthcare, but there are also opportunities to validate the results in other areas such as robotics. Depending on the ambitions of the candidate, a research engineering position or PhD position can be considered.
We are looking for candidates with the following qualification and skills:
- You have a master's degree in computer science, informatics, ICT or electronics. Final year students close to their graduation are also welcome to apply.
- You have a strong interest in deep learning, and are eager to advance the state of the art.
- Experience with deep learning algorithmic approaches or frameworks (such as Theano, Torch, Tensorflow) is considered a plus.
- You are willing to dig deeper for fundamental knowledge to achieve innovation goals defined in research projects in collaboration with industry.
- You disseminate your results via journal publications, conference presentations, etc.
- You are willing to assist the academic staff in their lecturing duties for a few hours per week.
- You own the analytical skills to interpret the obtained research results.
- You are able to efficiently organize your tasks in an independent way.
- You are a team player and have strong communication skills.
- You respect the predetermined milestones in research projects.
- Your English is fluent, both speaking and writing.
We offer a challenging, stimulating and pleasant research environment, where you can contribute to the worldwide research for the Future Internet. The work is done in close collaboration with key European ICT and telecom industry players. Throughout the complete PhD period, you receive a full-time, attractive salary and various additional benefits
Apply with (I) your motivation letter, (II) a summary of your master thesis, (III) your CV and (IV) three reference persons we can contact.
Deadline for application: October 15th.
For any questions contact email@example.com
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and