R&T Associate in environmental telematics (M/F)
The successful candidate will join the “Environmental Research and Innovation” (ERIN) department. With a team of more than 170 scientists and engineers from life science, environmental science, and IT science, the ERIN department tackles major environmental challenges our society is facing today such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, environmental pollution prevention and control.
Around the world there is a growing awareness of the need to better control and manage the environment. The objective of sustainable development requires the steady and continual growth and competitiveness of innovative products and services and the parallel improvement of the environmental quality of our industries, cities and regions. Through the exploitation of advanced telematics (information and telecommunication) technologies & applications and the opportunities offered by the rapid development of a modern information society, the ERIN department thrives to offer better services for citizens, environmental managers and decision makers of private and public sectors. In their most effective form, environmental information services will give citizens information that allows them personally to participate in environmental protection while assisting managers and decision-makers in the definition of future environmental strategies.
In this respect the ERIN department develops automatic warning systems and integrated monitoring of pollution levels in the atmosphere, rivers or the soil. Applications and services are under development for various domains, such as urban areas, river basins or precision agriculture. Research and demonstration activities address, in particular, the development of environmental management tools as well as systems for improved decision making, through the interconnection, fusion and improved accessibility of environmental information networks and data sources, including web-based contextual information (weather, maps, traffic, etc.), in general in combination with UAV and satellite imagery data.
The proposed position aims to extent the existing expertise in sensor networks applied to environmental applications.
We are looking for an R&T Associate who will:
- Contribute to a stream of activities on the application of telematics to different environmental applications. The application areas addressed can be roughly grouped into two domains: a) environmental monitoring, information, visualization and control systems for the purpose of improved reporting, planning, forecasting, and decision making; and b) global emergency management systems to improve prevention, risk assessment, risk analysis and crisis management for time-critical events, in the case of man-made and natural disasters
- Apply data science techniques on heterogeneous sources of data to enable prediction, forecasting and decision-making in the identified application domains
- Define parts of RDI projects relying on her/his state of the art knowledge and know-how in terms of environmental telematics
- Formulate innovative/scientific/technological concepts
- Produce deliverables in given timeframes
- Define proof-of-concept projects to allow the transition of research into commercially viable innovations
The selected candidate will be asked to apply his/her skills to research projects as well as to collaborative projects with industry.
- The position requires a strong interest and proven experience in research (e.g. accepted publications) as well as in software development
- Experience in contributing to writing project proposals targeting national or international calls is considered an asset
- Experience in proof-of-concept programs and support for potential business and partnerships is considered a strong asset
- International and multi-disciplinary experience is considered an asset
- A PhD in computer science, telecommunication or related field
- Minimum 4-year RDI experience after the completion of PhD
- Combination of interdisciplinary computer science and of strong telecommunication skills
- Strong publication record
- Experience in telematics projects, including data collection, transmission, organization, processing and visualization
- Experience in industrially deployed projects is considered a strong asset
- Experience in a research and technology organization and/or in a private company would be considered as a plus
- Inventorship and filing of patents would be considered as an advantage
- Knowledge of Luxembourg and the Luxembourgish socio-economic, entrepreneurship, start-up and industrial context is considered an asset
- Computer programming, including common programming and scripting languages (Java, Python, Perl) and mobile programming (Android, iOS)
- Telecommunications and sensor networking, including medium-access and network protocols for wireless and wired networks
- Strongly motivated, challenging and result oriented mind-set
- Experience in Agile project management frameworks is considered as an asset
- Interdisciplinary thinking, well-developed communication skills in multiple languages (oral and written) and team spirit to successfully integrate into the multicultural, multilingual and multidisciplinary work environment at LIST
- English mandatory. French and/or German are considered an asset
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and