John von Neumann Fellowship in Computational Science 2018
Sandia National Laboratories invite outstanding candidates to apply for the 2018 John von Neumann Fellowship in Computational Science. US citizenship is not required for this position.
This prestigious postdoctoral fellowship is partially supported by the Applied Mathematics Research Program in the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Advanced Scientific Computing Research. The fellowship provides an exceptional opportunity for innovative research in computational mathematics and scientific computing on advanced computing architectures with application to a broad range of science and engineering problems of national importance. This appointment is for one year, with a possible renewal for a second year, and includes a highly competitive salary, moving expenses and a generous professional travel allowance.
For more details about the John von Neumann Fellowship, visit our website at www.cs.sandia.gov/VN_Web_Page.
To apply for the John von Neumann Fellowship, please complete the following:
1) Submit a single PDF file containing your cover letter, CV, and a 3-5 page research statement online at www.sandia.gov/careers, JobID 658553 .
2) Submit three letters of recommendation to Denis Ridzal at firstname.lastname@example.org; Use "2018 VN Fellowship" as the subject line.
Applications will be accepted through December 1, 2017.
- PhD, received prior to commencement of the fellowship, in applied/computational mathematics or related computational science and engineering discipline
- Maximum of three years of postdoctoral experience
- Strong research publication record
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoE clearance
- Excellent communication and personal interaction skills
Sandia is one of the country's largest research facilities employing nearly 8,700 people at major facilities in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Livermore, California. Sandia maintains research programs in a variety of areas such as computational and discrete mathematics, computational physics and engineering, systems software and tools. Sandia is a world leader in large-scale parallel computer systems, algorithms, software and applications, and provides a collaborative and highly multidisciplinary environment for solving computational problems at extreme scales. To support a variety of computational workloads, Sandia has several capacity systems for solving large, complex science and engineering problems, and visualizing and interpreting results. Sandia's High Performance Computing (HPC) clusters include the 600 TF Skybridge cluster and the 1.2 PF Serrano and Cayenne clusters.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT