Assistant Professor of Biology with expertise in Physiology.
The Biology Department at Winthrop University invites applicants for an assistant professorship with expertise in physiology to join a department comprised of 18 full-time faculty, over 400 undergraduate majors, and 20 MS students. Winthrop University, located in the Charlotte, North Carolina metropolitan region, is a liberal arts, masters-granting state university. The successful candidate will demonstrate evidence of excellence in teaching, a strong commitment to student learning and development, and the ability to establish an independent research program that attracts both graduate and undergraduate students. This 9-month tenure-track faculty position with a rank of assistant professor requires a Ph.D. in a biological science or an equivalent area (ABDs will be considered).
- Teach courses in human physiology and one or more courses in the areas human anatomy, cell biology, and molecular biology
- Teach additional courses that could include Principles of Biology lecture and/or lab (BIOL 204 and 203), Scientific Process in Biology (BIOL 300), Integration of Biological Principles (BIOL 480), courses that contribute to the general education program, and/or other courses to give a total of 12 credit hours each semester.
- Develop additional undergraduate and graduate courses in area of specialization
- Appropriate scholarly involvement in field of specialization
- Effective advising of both undergraduate and graduate students
- Engage in professional stewardship to the department, college, university, discipline, and community, as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned by the department chair
- PhD in a Biological Science or an equivalent area with strong background in physiology. Additional expertise in cell biology and/or molecular biology preferred. ABDs will be considered for appointment in a non-tenure track position at the rank of instructor if all degree requirements are not completed by the expected start date of August 16, 2018
- Evidence of excellence in teaching and a strong commitment to student learning and development
- Evidence of an ability to establish an independent research program that will include both graduate and undergraduate students
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills and strong personal ethics for mentorship of student research projects
- Application Instructions
Application deadline is December 1, 2017. Application materials received after the deadline may be considered if an acceptable candidate has not been found.
Individuals wishing to apply for this position should make their interest known to: Dr. Janice Chism, Chair of the Search Committee, Department of Biology, Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC 29733; Phone: 803-323-2111, ext. 6429; Fax: 803-323-3448; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The following materials should be submitted through the Interfolio System (apply.interfolio.com/44964):
- Letter of application
- Current curriculum vitae that includes names, addresses, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers of at least three professional references
- Three letters of recommendation
- All graduate degree transcripts (copies are acceptable for application but official transcripts will be required for an offer of employment)
- Detailed statements of teaching philosophy and future research plans
- Student course evaluations and/or other evidence of excellence in teaching.