Senior User Experience Designer
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $18 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The User Experience (UX) Designer will be responsible for creating innovative, interactive and visual designs and experiences for the Internet of Things (IoT) through product touch screens, mobile apps and devices, and web sites. This person will be responsible for the full design process, from ideation and sketching, wireframing and prototyping, to creating the visual elements that complete the design. The ideal candidate will need to work independently as well as take direction, work closely with other teams, and should be self-motivated and organized.
- This person will serve as a visual and UX designer on multiple projects, providing initial brainstorming and strategy through front-end implementation (HTML/CSS). The designer must have the ability to combine strong concepting skills with creative design & execution.
- Understand user needs and behaviors, and to test and iterate on designs to meet those needs. Make understanding end user requirements a constant priority. Educate internal teams on best practices around information architecture, interaction design and usability.
- The designer must understand and execute on the aspects and steps of the process in building interactive design solutions. He or she must be able to visualize, design and conceptualize user experiences. This includes information design hierarchy, process/screen flows, concept sketches, annotated wireframes, interactive prototypes, high fidelity visual mockups and optimized graphics production. Lead the creation of visually compelling representations of the solution's high-level interaction, navigation and organization design that meet product requirements and respect engineering capabilities.
- The designer will clearly communicate design strategy, rationale, and perspective and present design concepts during creative reviews. Must have the flexibility to understand and apply feedback. This person will also work closely with project leads to meet business expectations and requirements, customer needs and schedule constraints.
- Working interdependently with other team members on key initiatives to ensure that the creative execution maintains a strong, consistent look and feel within brand guidelines is essential. Transform product-specific designs into design patterns that will enable a consistent user experience across products.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with research, engineering, marketing, product management and other internal organizations.
- 5+ years as an interaction designer, web designer, mobile designer or similar role ideally
- 2+ years' experience of developing for applied markets - mining, industrial, safety/security
- Bachelor's Degree in Grapic Design, Visual Communications or equivalent work experience or equivalent
- Familiar with latest thoughts in Design Thinking
- Online portfolio of digital projects demonstrating creative thinking and flawless execution
- Demonstrated ability to distill complex ideas or difficult design problems into simple solutions
- Experience designing across multiple platforms and/or devices, including responsive and adaptive design
- Ability to create solutions from design concept through final execution
- Track record of developing and delivering successful, intuitive, and compelling designs
- Deep knowledge and demonstrated use of user center design processes and methodology
- Demonstrated knowledge on up-to-date industry trends
- Skills and fortitude to quickly generate ideas and mockups
- Expert in one or more of your choice of standard design tools, such as Adobe Creative Suite, Axure, iRise, or Omnigraffle
- Must be motivated, highly organized, flexible during peak workload, detail oriented, have strong project managements skills and be able to move quickly and comfortably between multiple projects while managing deadlines
- Experience gathering and documenting business, functional, and end user requirements
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with and understand the needs of both technical and non technical team members and stakeholders to successfully develop and ship products
- Experience effectively working directly with developers
This position does NOT have relocation assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 55,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.