Sr. Plant Engineer
Reporting to the Sr. Director Facilities & Engineering, this position will be responsible for HVAC, GMP facilities, and GMP and grey utilities engineering. This position will eventually transition to our new GMP Manufacturing site in Norwood, MA. This position will provide engineering support for utilities and HVAC to the site; support the Integrated Facilities Management (IFM) provider in the execution of day to day operation, projects and troubleshooting. This positions will lead investigations relating to non-conformance events in partnership with Quality, IT, Manufacturing and the IFM.
- Provide direct engineering support for the clean utilities including WFI generation, storage, and distribution and process gases. In addition, the engineer will provide technical support of grey utilities including chilled water, steam, boilers, and condensate systems. The GMP HVAC support is to include expertise in clean room design, air distribution, HEPA filtration and certification, and pressure differential and pressure alarming strategies. This support includes being the owner of the GMP utility and HVAC equipment and systems at the Norwood site to include troubleshooting equipment to determine root cause of failure modes, owning Corrective/Preventative Actions and associated change controls, providing input into preventative maintenance plans, assessing change controls, and continuous improvement initiatives. In order to provide a high level of customer support to the Facilities and Manufacturing teams, the Senior Engineer must develop a deep knowledge of the utility and HVAC requirements of each of the manufacturing areas.
- A key requirement of this position is the ability to collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to determine the best path forward to identified issues by balancing technical, compliance, and business objectives.
- The Senior Engineer needs to be able to drive results by owning and completing the subsequent projects including high quality technical writing within the required quality systems and meeting the project timelines to ensure the production schedule is not impacted.
- At the level of Senior Engineer, the candidate must be able to drive results on multiple complex assignments simultaneously with minimal required direction from his/her supervisor, in addition to reviewing and guiding the work and performance of contractors.
- The Senior Engineer will have specific safety objectives to include proactively evaluating the safety of the operation of the utility and HVAC equipment and propose and implement safety improvements. The Senior Engineer must work in a safe manner at all times by adhering to all safety procedures and have a proactive safety mindset.
- The Senior Engineer will participate on project teams through all phases of engineering projects in the HVAC and utility areas including conceptual design, detailed design, equipment procurement, construction, installation, start up, commissioning, validation, and qualification of facilities and/or equipment.
- A minimum of eight years professional experience required in engineering, facilities or operations.
- A minimum of four years relevant experience in cGMP environment is desirable.
- BS in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering.
- Familiarity with biotechnology operations, including GMPs. Knowledge of clean room design, GMP HVAC, grey utilities, and GMP utilities.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) are required. Expected to be able to present own work to peers and cross-functional managers and influence leadership decisions. Technical writing skills required.
- Must be able use his/her technical background to investigate issues using a structured problem solving approach to determine true root cause and develop effective corrective and preventative actions. Must be able to be able to find true root cause and path forward for complex problems.
- Familiarity with Excel, Word, and PowerPoint are required and basic statistical analysis techniques are preferred.
- Ability to interact well with other groups and must be able to take ownership of and follow through on assignments. Must be able to drive results on multiple complex assignments simultaneously with minimal required direction from his/her supervisor.
- Ability to represent Moderna's interests, objectives and policies in a professional and responsible manner.
- Experience in large engineering capital projects is preferred.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.