Applied Physicist for Surface Analysis
* Applied Physicist for Surface Analysis
* Applied Physicist for Surface Analysis in the Technology Department (TE).
As an applied physicist for surface analysis in the TE-VSC-SCC Section, you will:
* Play a leading role in the operation of the surface analysis systems in the dedicated laboratories of the section (XPS, SEY) and provide the interpreted results in technical reports to collaborators.
* Give advice in order to apply the best analytical methods for a required subject by collaborating with the teams in charge of chemical, physical-chemical and microscopy analysis.
* Take part in the R&D projects involving surface analysis and surface characterization for applications in the LHC, injectors and experiments of CERN.
* Coordinate the improvement of the existing facilities of surface analysis.
* Promote the collaborations with external institutes to access to surface analytical techniques which are not presently available at CERN.
* Write technical reports and scientific publications.
* PhD (Doctorate) in the fields of physics or material science, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies:
* Proven experience in operation of surface analysis instrumentation and surface characterization by electron spectroscopies.
* Demonstrated experience in surface analysis data handling and interpretation.
* Previous experience in a research and development environment.
* Proven experience in development of instrumentation to be used in ultrahigh vacuum.
* Surface analysis: knowledge in fundamental and applied surface science.
* Knowledge of surface properties.
* Knowledge of materials for UHV technology: knowledge of instrumentation for UHV technology.
* Good knowledge of English is required; ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
* Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Application deadline 18.10.2017
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years.
These functions require:
* Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
* Work in radiation areas.
* Interventions in underground installations.
* A val id driving licence.
* Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Please visit our website for more information on Edibility and employment conditions.
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and