Mechanical Design/Project Engineer
Job Title: Mechanical Design Engineer
Business Unit: Materials & Minerals / Product Inspection
Division: Chemical Analysis Division
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Reports to: Engineering Manager
Mechanical design and project management for inspection, weighing and validation instruments used in the food and pharmaceutical industries. Collaborate with customers and a cross-functional team to team to design solutions for unique applications.
Essential Job Functions and Accountabilities:
- Process new equipment orders and upgrade designs for standard products
- Design and provide cost estimation for special projects
- Manage and coordinate projects to meet customer requirements, delivery dates and estimated costs
- Utilize DFM (Design For Manufacturability) concepts to optimize the supply chain and production processes
- Consult with and provide support to the commercial team on order proposals and requests for quotes
- Converse with customers to clarify specifications and applications requirements
- Work with other engineers in evaluating, improving and maintaining standard products, including the writing of manuals and addenda
- Travel for design clarification, sales or project kick-off meetings, start-up assistance, construction supervision, measure-up, training and system troubleshooting when necessary
- Provide start-up and/or trouble-shooting assistance to site personnel via phone or web
- Oversee drafting and base-level engineering activity performed either locally or at other locations on projects and proposal work
- Collaborate with the supply chain and planning group on procurement and scheduling activity as needed
- Participate on NPI (New Product Introduction) or Product Enhancement teams, including;
- Development of mechanical product specifications
- Development and testing of design concepts
- Providing documentation for new products
- Performing engineering calculations for designed components and assemblies
- Providing specifications for purchase components
- Coordinating product testing and ensuring product specifications are met
- Other tasks as assigned
Other Job Requirements:
- 5-10% travel
Communicate designs with drafters and designers to create production drawings
- 4-yr Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent
- 5 years related experience in designing material handling industrial equipment
- 5 years experience in CADD (Computer Aided Design and Drafting), Inventor/Solidworks, and AutoCAD
- Functional skills with common computer applications such as Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Able to write technical material; instructions, procedures, etc.
- Experienced & knowledgeable with document control systems and enterprise resource planning systems - - understands how & why bills of material, item masters, purchasing data, sales input and other features are used throughout a manufacturing business.
- Able to communicate effectively across functional areas
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all employee responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.