JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
AOAC INTERNATIONAL is a globally recognized, 501(c)(3), independent, third party, not-for-profit association and voluntary consensus standards developing organization founded in 1884. When analytical needs arise within a community or industry, AOAC INTERNATIONAL is the forum for finding appropriate science-based solutions through the development of microbiological and chemical standards. AOAC standards are used globally to promote trade and to facilitate public health and safety.
We are seeking a full-time Executive Director. The Board of Directors seeks a distinguished, energetic, and transformative leader who can accelerate the growing reputation and success of AOAC INTERNATIONAL. Candidates for the position will need to demonstrate the following:
• Leadership abilities demonstrated at the national and international levels in science based solutions, development of microbiological and chemical standards, and/or non-profit leadership.
• Ability to forge strategic partnerships with business & government leaders, business organizations, and community partners.
• Distinguished and appropriate credentials.
• Relevant experience in leading scientific organizations.
• Experience working with boards/volunteer leadership.
• Demonstrated experience in creating and leading a vibrant organization.
• Superb communication skills.
• Personal commitment to collaborative and team approach to work.
For more information about AOAC INTERNATIONAL and our programs, please see our website: AOAC INTERNATIONAL
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and will lead a staff of 30 dedicated professionals in the delivery of programs internationally and nationwide. He or she will work closely with members from industry, government, academic, and nonprofit sectors to identify national and international goals; and collaborate on solutions within the bounds of AOAC INTERNATIONAL’S mission and strategic plan. He or she will be a visionary catalyst for the development of globally accepted standards, that promotes consumer safety, security and comfort by working through our regulatory, academic, and industrial members and partners. Our next leader will also ensure that the organization is run with integrity, transparency, and is an excellent employer for our diverse staff.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following areas:
Revenue Generation Strategies – Develops vision for sustained strategic economic and financial growth for the organization.
Advocacy – Provides voice and testimony for AOAC INTERNATIONAL to key constituencies nationally and internationally.
Government, Community, and Public Relations – Assures the organization and its mission, programs and services are consistently presenting a strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders including leaders in government, business, the community, and the media. Serves on multiple boards on behalf of the organization taking on leadership roles.
Collaboration and Coordination with Multiple Partnering Organizations and Members – Works with other nonprofit organizations on areas of mutual interest to promote our organization’s mission.
Board Administration and Support – Supports operations and administration of the Board of Directors by advising and informing board members, coordinating with the Board of Directors, and ongoing board evaluation of the organization and the Executive Director.
Staff Management – Directly supervises staff and provides them with the tools and resources to oversee their divisions and programs.
Financial, Tax, and Risk Management – Recommends yearly budget for board approval and manages organization’s resources within those budget guidelines according to laws and regulations. Manages yearly audit, and preparation of multiple federal/state tax returns and related filings, in concert with accounting firms.
Human Resource Management – Effectively manages the human resources of the organization according to authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conform to current laws and regulations.
• Bachelor's degree in a related field required. Master’s Degree preferred.
• 15+ years of executive leadership experience in science, science policy, industry, higher education, or nonprofit leadership. Experience working at national and international levels preferred.
• Excellent leadership, relationship-building, and public speaking skills.
• Strong knowledge of the public health and safety industries, quality improvement, and analytical methods.
• Strong analytical skills and experience with implementing evidenced–based, outcome driven programs.
• Sound financial and business leadership.
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications in September 2017, with the goal of finalizing the appointment by December 2017. Applications will be received and considered until the position is filled. However, for optimal consideration, candidates should apply on-line by October 15, 2017 and submit the following information:
- Letter of Interest, explaining your alignment and interest to AOAC INTERNATIONAL
- 5-7 Professional References with email and telephone numbers (references will not be contacted without prior written authorization from the candidate)
Please submit your information in MS Word Format (not PDF).
This search is being assisted by:
Amy E. Poelfrone, MPA, SPHR, President/CEO of HR Strategy Group, LLC
AOAC INTERNATIONAL offers an outstanding benefits and compensation package. AOAC INTERNATIONAL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.