Senior Electrical Engineer
Thorlabs is seeking an electronics engineer to participate in the development of next generation scientific instruments. The successful candidate will conceive, design and prototype circuits and systems. Activities include documentation, vendor management, prototyping, and transfer to manufacturing. This position requires troubleshooting complex electronics and system problems and being committed to customer satisfaction. Preference will be given to candidates with a broad range of interests and skills.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Design and develop electronics for precision scientific instruments and peripherals
- Develop firmware to control and monitor a number of optical and electrical components within one integrated system
- Take a design from an initial concept through prototyping, debugging and manufacturing phases
- Manage project timeline and costs
- Manage electronic component vendors and contract manufacturers
- Troubleshoot and resolve electronics related system issues
- Manage electronics engineering documentation and material specifications
- Develop test fixtures for manufacturing
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience with electronics design for scientific, biotech, medical, or semiconductor instrumentation
- Substantial experience in analog/digital low noise design, simulation and implementation
- Experience in power electronics for low noise circuits.
- Experience with schematic capture and PCB layout (Altium software a plus)
- Experience with SolidWorks is a plus
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or experience in a related field such as Mechatronics and Scientific Instrumentation
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Thorough understanding of embedded hardware, such as microprocessor and microcontroller based control and monitoring circuits
- Working knowledge and experience developing C embedded code.
- Proven expertise in troubleshooting and resolving electronic issues in instruments
- Familiarity with design and implementation of optoelectronic circuits and control systems
- Detailed design analysis and simulation for low noise circuits, signal integrity, power dissipation, design margins, etc.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.