Data Scientist for Smart City Services (M/F)
The candidate will be working in an EU funded research project MUV (Mobility Urban Values) with major strategical interest for Luxembourg involving public and private partners.
MUV project levers behaviour change in local communities in an entirely novel approach to reducing urban traffic. Rather than focus on infrastructure, it raises citizen awareness on the quality of the urban environment to promote a shift towards more sustainable and healthy mobility choices. MUV solutions are co-created and validated with learning communities in six diverse urban neighbourhoods - Buitenveldert in Amsterdam (NL), Sant Andreu in Barcelona (ES), Muide/Meulested in the harbour of Ghent (BE), the historic district of Fundao (PT), Jätkäsaari in Helsinki (FI) and the "Centro Storico" of Palermo (IT).
MUV's technological ecosystem integrates three components: a mobile and wearable app, a distributed network of environmental monitoring stations (co-designed with local maker communities) and a scalable cloud platform to collect, aggregate and analyse data. The massive amount of data collected throughout MUV communities feeds local planning and policy-making processes to develop frugal and effective urban mobility solutions. Creativity and artistic design maximize local impact and the diffusion of project results beyond the communities directly involved. MUV's ground-breaking approach thus achieves sustainable mobility through a blend of methods: co-creation, awareness raising, gamification, reward systems, new forms of communication, artistic design, ICT and data science, additive manufacturing, and open governance.
As a Data Scientist, the applicant has a unique opportunity to use his/her creativity in cloud infrastructure to develop innovative big data analytics platform applied to Mobility Services.
More specifically, the candidate will be in charge of:
- Providing state of the art work related to the research thematic
- Managing the daily research work allowing the smooth progress of the RDI projects
- Contributing to generate knowledge
- Collaborating with other researchers in order to promote interdisciplinary activities internally
- Contributing to dissemination, valorization and transfer of RDI results
- PhD degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science with strong Data Engineering expertise
- Cloud Architectures and platforms (MS Azure, Amazon EC2, etc.).
- 2-3 years hands in Distributed computing (e.g. Hadoop, Cassandra, Kafka, Storm, Spark, etc.)
- Data analytics - strong backgrounds in statistics, machine learning and similar technologies
- Data management, collection, processing and conversion
- Open data modelling and specification
- Development of data provision and collection interfaces
- Smart cities knowledge, incl. Governmental Information Systems standards is an asset
- Previous experience in mobility and transport operations are considered as an asset
- Capability to work in an interdisciplinary team
- Excellent communications skills
- Fluency in English is mandatory
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and