The American Physical Society (APS), www.aps.org, is a non-profit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy and international activities. APS represents over 54,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories and industry in the U.S. and throughout the world. Overall, APS is a $55 million/year operation. The Society’s offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY (Editorial Office), and Washington, DC (Office of Public Affairs). APS seeks an Associate Publisher, based at the headquarters office, to assist the Publisher in developing and managing the APS portfolio of journals and represent the interests of APS journal portfolio externally.
- Assist the Publisher in analyzing all data and evaluating publishing performance, while determining areas of opportunity and risks.
- Based on the Society’s strategic objectives, formulate and implement concrete publishing plans for the APS journal portfolio.
- Lead the APS Publishing Intelligence Unit in identifying and analyzing potential publishing projects. Develop financial models for new publishing products and play a leading role in new journal launches.
- Understand business opportunities and requirements in the key global regions to increase growth of the APS journal portfolio.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with APS Senior Management Team
- Assist the Publisher by monitoring financial performance of journals in the portfolio through regular reporting and forecasting.
- Keep abreast of the latest issues and developments in the STEM publishing industry and related technological developments. Deputize for the Publisher on industry committees as appropriate. Speak at industry events/publishing workshops and promote the APS journal portfolio.
- Make clear, reasoned and logical publishing decisions that balance the business needs and mission of the APS. Communicate effectively with other team members and delegate work as appropriate.
- BA or BS in science, physics or a related scientific discipline.
- Advance degree (MS and above) greatly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in scientific journal publishing at an international society STEM publisher.
- Proven track of success in new journal launch and development is essential. Experience in journal acquisitions and onboarding is a plus.
- Proven ability to work with journal editorial boards and scientific society boards. Experience in partner publishing with international scientific societies is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of the scientific publishing industry in general and dynamics of society publishing in particular. Excellent knowledge of the journal launch and publishing process and promotional strategies. Proven ability to work with journal editors, journal editorial boards and learned society boards.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Experience in speaking to outside audiences, leading project groups and chairing meetings. Knowledge of contractual issues connected with STEM publishing and experience with contract management.
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills. Experience in constructing and managing journal budgets.
- Strong leadership, organizational and time management skills, attention to detail, ability to work under pressure, unsupervised and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
To apply, send cover letter including salary requirement, resume and a list of professional references to the attention of Human Resources via e-mail to email@example.com.
APS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. EOE M/F/D/V
Apply for Associate Publisher
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly