Automation Research Associate (Robotics)(Mechanical Engineer) (BS/MS)
Together, We Can Solve the World’s Greatest Challenges. The solution to many of the most fundamental challenges facing the world today can be found in science. But providing for the food, energy and safety needs of a growing population will require more than science alone. It will require many people working together to devise solutions that improve the lives of people everywhere. DuPont has a rich history of scientific discovery that has enabled countless innovations and today, we’re looking for more people, in more places, to collaborate with us to make life the best it can be.
About DuPont Industrial Biosciences
DuPont Industrial Biosciences comprises an unmatched portfolio of capabilities in industrial biotechnology and bio-based solutions. The unique combination of agricultural, biotechnology, chemical and material science capabilities allows DuPont Industrial Biosciences to deliver cost-effective products with superior performance and sustainability aspects to a range of industries. Bringing together the expertise from Danisco, Genencor, and DuPont has yielded a unique combination of strengths in enzyme technology, materials science, and bioprocessing. We call it Powered by DuPont™ Genencor® Science. It’s what powers the innovations to help solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
DuPont Industrial Biosciences is currently seeking a dynamic Automation Research Associate to join our Biochemistry Automation team. The successful applicant will be a creative, flexible, highly-motivated contributor, excited to play a role in expanding automation and data-handling capabilities across DuPont IB’s global R&D organization. Our interdisciplinary project teams are responsible for discovering, optimizing, and scaling-up enzyme technologies across a wide range of applications, providing sustainable solutions to change the world.
Candidates must have experience relevant to high-throughput screening and laboratory workflows and automation. Experience in automating laboratory workflows in an industrial or commercial environment, such as with robotic liquid handlers or microfluidics is strongly preferred. This new R&D opportunity will be based at DuPont’s Industrial Biosciences Technology and Innovation Center in Palo Alto, California, but the position will interface closely with other international teams at DuPont IB. Occasional travel to other R&D sites in Europe and North America will be required.
Working with the global automation team, the candidate will:
- Identify and implement solutions (hard- and software) for improvement of the high-quality automation infrastructure
- Collaborate with biotechnology project teams to design relevant and robust automation workflows
- Execute, support, and leverage automation solutions (especially robotic sample handling and detection instrumentation)
- Participate in efforts to align and improve automation capabilities
- Take responsibility for local automation and robotic laboratory infrastructure, operation and maintenance
- Communicate automation solutions through oral presentation, written SOPs, and in-person demonstrations
- Regularly interact with project scientists to advance projects goals