Postdoctoral fellow and PhD position in Microbiology at UiT - The Arctic University of Norway
We seek highly motivated candidates for one postdoc (3 yrs) and one PhD position (4 yrs) affiliated with the Microbial Pharmacology and Population Biology (MicroPop) research group at the Department of Pharmacy, UiT – The Arctic University of Norway. MicroPop offers a highly international, ambitious and friendly work environment above the Arctic Circle in Tromsø, Norway. The research group currently consists of three professors, a senior scientist/lab-manager, four postdocs, two PhD students and MSc students. Our main research focus is on the evolution, selection and spread of antibiotic resistance in Gram-negative pathogens. We are currently working on aspects of collateral sensitivity/resistance, epistatic fitness interactions between resistance determinants, and plasmid-mediated spread of resistance. Postdoc candidates are encouraged to write a maximum two-page project proposal. We offer competitive salary levels.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Maintain a functional laboratory as coordinated by our lab manager
- Postdoctoral fellow: advise master and PhD students together with faculty members
- PhD student: teaching responsibilities at the Department of Pharmacy in Microbiology and Immunology.
Knowledge and skills:
- Experience with work with antibiotic resistant pathogens (BSL-2 level) including susceptibility testing and general microbiological methodologies (sterile techniques ect).
- Experience in cloning and/or whole genome sequencing and bioinformatics
- Training in evolutionary (micro) biology and/or experience with experimental evolution is considered advantageous.
Instructions to applicants:
- Submit a CV, letter of interest, project proposal (postdoc only), and names and contact information for three references to our project coordinator Marie H. Lindberg: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions regarding the positions can be directed to Prof. Pål J. Johnsen, group leader MicroPop: email@example.com