Senior Post-Doctoral Researcher
A position is available for a Senior Post-Doctoral Researcher to work in the Department of Accounting, Finance and Information Systems at University College Cork working closely with colleagues in UCC's Environmental Research Institute. The successful applicant will manage a project under the direction of the Principal Investigator and project co-principal investigators to assess Ireland's exposure to carbon lock-in and stranded asset risk. The project is funded by the Environmental Protection Agency. The Senior Post-Doctoral Researcher will be responsible for:
- Researching and preparing a synthesis report on methodologies to assess carbon risk and fossil fuel lock-in using international best practice.
- Researching and reporting on existing literature to assess current research developments in the area.
- Identifying, cataloguing and assessing fossil assets, infrastructures and support systems in Ireland to develop a database of fossil fuel generation and infrastructure assets by type (Peat, Coal, Oil and Gas) in consultation with various stakeholders / policy makers.
- Benchmarking Irish fossil fuel assets using similar studies in other developed countries in the EU and more widely. This work will be undertaken in conjunction with colleagues in UCC's Environmental Research Institute using the Irish TIMES integrated energy system model. * Designing and carrying out a survey of leading fund and asset managers to assess their understanding of stranded asset / fossil fuel lock in risk. Follow-on interviews to be conducted with these stakeholders.
- Examining the consequences of current carbon lock-in and investments issues and options; technology risk, delayed action and barriers to deployment will also be considered.
- Examining and report on how Irish tax incentives, R+D tax credits etc. may promote fossil fuel assets and related infrastructure.
- The role will involve meeting and engaging with various stakeholders as well as meeting and reporting to a Steering group and EPA committee.
- Engaging in dissemination activities.
- The post is a fixed term contract and will involve some travel to meetings and conferences.
Expected Skill Set
An enthusiastic, motivated person with a high level of initiative, capable of working independently and within a team. The candidate should have fluent English and excellent communication, organization, planning and interpersonal skills. Ideally, the candidate will have experience in the energy sector with an understand of stranded asset risk.
Post duration: 12 months
Salary: €44,643-€47,255 p.a.
Project: Fossil Fuel Lock-in in Ireland - How Much Value is at Risk?
For full particulars on this post please refer to: https://www.ucc.ie/en/hr/vacancies/research/full-details-764134-en.html
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and