Post-doctoral researcher in autonomous inland shipping
For Mechanical Engineering Technology TC, Campus Group T Leuven we are looking for an ambitious and motivated post-doctoral researcher within the domain of Unmanned Surface Vessel (USV). The Robotics research at KU Leuven Department of Mechanical Engineering has pioneered robotics research in Europe since the mid-1970s. It has covered virtually all aspects of sensor-based robotics, from the high-level task specification down to low-level sensor-based control, and applied the research results in a variety of industrial applications. In the last decade the group shifted its attention towards system medical and logistic applications . The Intelligent Mobile Platform (IMP) group is a multi-disciplinary and multi-campus research group originating from the robotics research with a focus on the intellige... For more information see https://icts.kuleuven.be/apps/jobsite/vacatures/54312700
You will assist in the coordination of various research projects at the Intelligent Mobile Platform (IMP) research group at KU Leuven within the domain of autonomous inland shipping. This dynamic and young research group is expending rapidly within an emerging new domain with tremendous challenges at various levels (ship design, drive train, control, communication, ...). Expertise in the domain of marine engineering/design is a big asset but not essential. Profound knowledge of software design in C/C++ or Python is however essential.
The chosen candidate will need to take the lead in:
- The development of an open source software platform (based on MOOS-IVP) for the control of autonomous inland vessel (in collaboration with the other researchers).
- The development and maintenance of a state-of-the-art autonomous scale model vessel to perform experimental validations.
- You will take new initiates and write new research proposals within the field and follow up and extend the current relations with academic and industrial partners. This includes the organization of research event and a yearly international conference.
- You will guide various PhD researchers/job students and master's students and you are responsible for the maintenance and coordination of our research facilities.
Currently the IMP group has multiple running project in the domain of autonomous inland shipping where you will be involved:
- Designing and building of a scale model vessels for the inland waterways (Eco Race Challenge project);
- Localization of inland vessel based on sensor fusion (H2020-H2H project);
- Demonstrate autonomous inland shipping at the river Yzer (EU-EFRO project).
- Perception around a vessel for obstacle avoidance and navigation (VLAIO-TETRA Ad Usum Navigantium project);
- Model based trajectory control of an inland waterway vessel (FWO-SB).
You will be encouraged to extend the scope of our research group towards other relevant inland waterway transport technologies (drive train, remote control, ship design, ...) depending on your interests and ambitions.
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and