Group Leader - EURAMET
Leading a high achieving unit you will show inspirational leadership, commercial awareness, project and people management and communication skills.
The UK's National Physical Laboratory (NPL) sits at the intersection between scientific discovery and real world application as one of the world's leading National Measurement Institutes. NPL Group Leaders bring a broad skill set which is central to achieving our aim of continuing to innovate and deliver scientific excellence, often in collaboration with other organisations, whilst supporting an increasing number of customers and driving our commercial growth.
NPL hosts a management support unit for two large-scale European metrology research programmes (€400/600 million) jointly funded by the European Union and participating countries within EURAMET eV. The programme will run until 2024 and supports large pan-European collaborative research projects in measurement science.
Areas of Focus
Leadership: Your focus will be to resource and line manage, driving staff development, engagement, motivation and assessment. A passionate role model, you will encourage collaboration as you balance resource management and direct cost requirements to ensure contract deliverables are met.
Communication: You will work with the external EURAMET General Secretary and Programme Manager and the Deputy Programme Manager to optimise delivery of the Programmes and provision of information for the EMPIR Committee. You will also be responsible for identifying and developing opportunities to expand the customer base for the team.
Project Management: You will ensure operations adhere to governance standards. You will be also be responsible for management of the contract and unit finances. Above all the programmes must be delivered to time, cost and quality expectations.
As the current contracts involve participants across Europe some travel may be necessary
Duties will include
• In consultation with the external EURAMET General Secretary and Programme Manager and the Deputy Programme Manager agree the delivery tasks and budget on an annual basis
• Contribute own ideas to improving delivery mechanisms as well as ensuring that processes and methodologies are consistently applied.
• Take responsibility to meet time, quality and cost objectives.
• Undertake financial planning and reporting including providing relevant information for the annual audit of the MSU contract by the EMPIR Committee
• Take ownership of the capability requirements (staff, equipment, facilities, etc) and budgets to deliver the contracts
• Lead, manage and mentor MSU staff members, driving all people management processes for MSU staff ensuring they are completed on time and to NPL standards.
• Identify and develop opportunities to expand the customer base for the team.
• Degree, or equivalent, ideally in a science or engineering discipline.
• Proven track record of contract management in a research environment.
• Proven people management experience supported by excellent communication skills.
• Strong relationship building and interpersonal skills with an ability to engage with a range of stakeholders.
• Self-motivation and enthusiasm will be required alongside good organisation with a sense of urgency.
Based in a unique, purpose-built research environment, we are located in beautiful surroundings on the edge of Bushy Park, south-west London with a host of onsite facilities. These include a subsidised crèche, restaurant and free parking.
NPL Management Limited is committed to supporting its people to develop both personally and professionally and is committed to equal opportunities. NPL Management Limited is a Stonewall Diversity Champion and an Institute of Physics Project Juno Supporter.
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and