Doctoral scholarship holder, area of Microbiology
The Faculty of Science is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy in the Department of Bioscience Engineering for a
Doctoral scholarship holder in the area of Microbiology
The research group ENdEMIC (Environmental Ecology & Applied Microbiology) investigates the impact of air pollution on environmental/ecological and microbiological/immunological aspects. The proposed PhD project aims at exploring the effects of air pollutants on the composition of the microbial community on the leaves of plants and trees (the phyllosphere). More insights in the specific shifts in the microbiome of plants will lead to new ways to combat air pollution by novel air purification strategies. The PhD projects aims at implementing innovative molecular approaches to monitor the presence and specificity of the air-purifying capacities and metabolic activities of phyllosphere bacteria and their bioremediation potential.
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in the field of applied microbiology.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project of the assignment.
- You contribute to teaching and research in the Faculty of Science, Department of Bioscience Engineering.
- You are willing to participate in possibilities for applications for external research/ PhD funding.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a master degree in Bioscience Engineering, Microbiology, Biotechnology of related.
- You can submit outstanding academic results.
- Students in the final year of their degree can also apply.
- The emphases in your teaching correspond to the educational vision of the university.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university's policy.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You are interested microbiology, cell- & gene biotechnology, molecular biology, (bio)chemistry, ecology & sustainability.
- a doctoral scholarship for a period of 2 years, renewable for 2 years after positive evaluation;
- the start date of the scholarship 1 January 2018;
- a gross monthly grant ranging from € 2.280,27 - € 2.419,84;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 1 October 2017.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications.
- The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Sarah Lebeer, Tel: 032653285, email@example.com.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and