Associate or Senior Editor (m/f) Nature Nanotechnology in Berlin or London
Nature Research is a division of the international scientific publishing company Springer Nature that publishes academic journals, magazines, online databases, and services in science and medicine. Springer Nature is a major new force in scientific, scholarly, professional and educational publishing. By using its combined expertise, scale and the reach of our brands, the company aims to grow and innovate in order to better serve academic researchers, students, teachers, institutions, professionals and the wider public, by helping them discover more. Springer Nature was created through the combination of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media in May 2015. This strategic merger brought together these dynamic publishing houses with more than 150 years of history behind them, as well as complementary geographic footprints and brand portfolios, a track record of creativity and innovation, and a shared vision to advance knowledge and learning around the world.
Do you love science but feel that a career at the bench isn't enough to sate your desire to learn more about the natural world? Do you find yourself reading papers outside your chosen area of research? If the answer is ‘yes' to any of these questions, you could be the person we're looking for to join the editorial team of Nature Nanotechnology.
Nature Nanotechnology publishes cutting-edge, high-quality research across the entire breadth of nanoscience and nanotechnology. To help us to build on the success of this journal, we're recruiting an editor with a background in fundamental or applied physics who has a critical eye, a deep understanding of their subject and interests beyond, and who can think on their feet. The new editor will handle manuscripts in a wide range of topics, including magnetism and spintronics, electronic properties of devices and quantum information.
The successful candidate will report to the Chief Editor of the journal and play an important role in determining the representation of their subject in the journal. They will handle original research papers submitted from all over the world, and work closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection and overseeing peer review: the ability to make well-reasoned editorial decisions on submitted manuscripts in the light of expert advice is crucial. They will liaise extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature family and leading experts in the international scientific community. Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will potentially be considered for Senior Editor positions.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- Research experience to PhD level (or equivalent).
- Postdoctoral research experience (strongly preferred) and a thorough understanding of the fundamentals of the subject.
- A passion for science and a thirst to learn more. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific research, both within and beyond your speciality.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and fluency in English (written and spoken).
- The ability to assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of this discipline.
- Eagerness to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers that we seek to publish.
For candidates applying for the Berlin based position:
- Limitation: None
- Working Hours: Full-time
- Company and Location: Springer Science + Business Media Deutschland GmbH, Berlin
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Varied and interesting tasks
- An excellent working environment with flat hierarchies
- A good work life balance with fair working hours of 37 hours/week + a generous and flexible vacation package of 30 days/year
- Discounted public transport
- Discounted book prices
- An excellent on-site cafeteria
Deadline: September 22, 2017
The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis, and will ideally be located either in our London or Berlin offices, although requests for possible placement in our Nature editorial offices in New York or Shanghai may be considered — please state in your application. Applicants should already have the right to live and work in their preferred location.
Applications should include the following:
- A cover letter telling us who you are and why you want to leave bench-research to become a full-time Nature journal editor.
- A CV detailing your education, relevant employment history, list of published scientific papers, and any other achievements that you feel demonstrates your suitability for the position.
- A 250-word Research Highlight in the style of Nature Nanotechnology covering a peer-reviewed research paper that has caught your attention recently. The paper you highlight should not be from your own (or previous) research group, but should be on a topic that you find interesting (and might even wish to learn more about). The highlight should explain the significance and implications of the research to someone who is not a specialist in the subject.
For more information about Nature Nanotechnology, visit our website at http://www.nature.com/nnano/index.html
The closing date for applications: 22nd September 2017.
Excited by the prospect of joining us?
We are looking forward to your online application.
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and