Chief Scientific Officer
Chief Scientific Officer, Buck Institute for Research on Aging
Under the direction of the President of the Buck Institute, Dr. Eric Verdin, the Chief Scientific Officer will provide leadership in developing and implementing the Buck’s overall scientific strategy, and will oversee research operations to support it. The CSO is an accomplished scientist with a record of outstanding scholarship in aging and age-related disease. The CSO will devote 50% effort to managerial and leadership functions while continuing to serve as principal investigator of his or her lab. We are particularly interested in candidates with a focus on the role of aging in cancer or neurodegeneration.
While leveraging the Buck’s legacy of leadership in aging research and history of successful partnerships with industry and academia, the CSO will have the vision and relationship-building skills necessary to dramatically expand those collaborations in the future. At a time when our understanding of the biology of aging is at an inflection point, the CSO will also have the credibility and gravitas to translate this opportunity into solicitations of gifts from donors for major research projects and in support of core facilities.
- Identify opportunities for research initiatives and major funding opportunities and oversee the submission of grant proposals.
- Oversee the allocation of research and lab space and resolve disputes regarding space.
- Oversee and direct budget management for scientific research programs and allocation of resources.
- Oversee the overall operation and integration of scientific cores.
- Work with faculty to develop plans for obtaining grants and promoting their scientific advances.
- Identify opportunities for shared resource sharing among faculty to promote institute-wide scientific progress.
- Coordinate with Facilities to ensure efficient and effective operation of labs and vivarium.
- Coordinate with Business Development to look for opportunities for collaboration with industry partners.
- Coordinate with Development and Communications on formulating ideas and pitches to secure large donations for major research projects and core facilities.
- Provide leadership in developing and implementing the research vision of the Institute.
- Set priorities for executing on a world-class scientific research program.
- Lead faculty searches.
- Monitor and evaluate faculty and staff performance.
- Coordinate with Chief Academic Officer on all aspects of graduate and post-graduate education.
- Approve appointments of all non-faculty positions.
- Coordinate with Communications on employee engagement programs.