Control Systems Engineer
Are you an Industrial Controls Engineer with experience developing real-time software? Are you motivated by the challenge of developing and supporting PLC-based interlock systems and real-time controls software for the power converters used in CERN's accelerators? CERN, take part!
Control Systems Engineer in the CERN Technology Department (TE), Electrical Power Converter Group (EPC), Converter Controls Software Section (CCS).
Hundreds of the smallest power converters and the interlocks for the largest are based on PLCs. In the coming years, the se systems need to be renovated using the latest hardware and programming methods, to be extremely reliable and maintainable. In addition, hundreds of commercial power converters are in use and more will be installed, and real-time software in C and C++ is needed to integrate them within the wider power converter controls framework at CERN.
As an industrial control engineer in the CCS Section, you will:
* Take a leading role in the development, maintain and document the PLC-based interlock software for CERN largest power converters and static var compensators.
* Develop, maintain and document real-time controls software for commercial power converters.
* Share the responsibility for the deployment, operation and maintenance of all the converter controls software running in the new and old converter controls electronics in CERN's accelerators.
The experience required for this post is:
* Demonstrated experience in the development of software for PLC-based industrial control systems.
* Demonstrated experience in the development of software using the C and C++ programming languages.
The following experience would be an advantage:
* Knowledge of real-time programming techniques would be an asset.
* Experience with Git, SQL, Perl, continuous integration and software testing techniques and Linux administration would be an asset.
* Signal processing, automatic control theory, digital and analogue electronics and power electronics would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
* Design of PLC based control system.
* Design of process control functional analysis / requirement analysis.
* Design of safety control systems.
* Design of embedded control system.
* Desig n of ergonomic human machine interface / design of HMI for control systems.
* Overall architectural design of large control systems / design of control systems.
* Programming/Software development.
* Design of real time control system.
The language competencies required are:
* Spoken and written English: ability to draw-up technical specifications and scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
* The ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts will be considered an advantage.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 18.09.2017.
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and