Technical Support Specialist
Position Summary: Provide technical support and consultation to service personnel and customers, primarily in North American marketplace but occasionally to the rest of the World. The position will specifically be supporting LC/MS instrumentation and data analysis software for the Proteomics market, primarily using Orbitrap Mass Spectrometers (Q Exactive, Fusion, LTQ Orbitrap) with data reduction by Proteome Discoverer and Biopharma Finder software. This is a high demand market segment that requires support by highly experienced and confident personnel. Remote diagnostics and troubleshooting using the Device Relationship Management (DRM) system must be used effectively to ensure minimal disruption to these customer's analytical needs, and speedy resolution whenever problems appear.
- Provide technical support via phone or electronically to customers, external and internal, involving hardware, software and operation.
- Maintain highly accurate records in the service database for compliance regulations.
- Provide basic application support for internal and external customers.
- Promote and sell aftermarket products for the service organization
- Assist in developing and implementation of plans to improve technical services and capabilities while working towards corporate/individual revenue and customer allegiance goals.
- Effectively communicate competitive information and additional sales opportunities to Marketing and Field Sales Engineers. Provide feedback to factory personnel for product improvements.
- Strive to increase customer satisfaction on a daily basis
- All other duties as assigned by Technical Support Manager and/or Supervisor.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or related field required. MS or PhD preferred. Minimum of 3-5 years hands-on experience with BS degree, 2-4 years of hands-on experience with MS degree or 1 year hands-on experience with PhD.
- Previous experience with LC/MS and/or HPLC (preferably Triple Quadruple Mass Spectrometers) required.
- Previous laboratory or similar experience required.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people and have strong interpersonal skills.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities necessary:
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Detailed understanding of Windows based software, networking and PC hardware.
- Ability to prioritize multiple high priority activities (tech support calls, training, travel, service calls and other group needs) and establish realistic schedules to meet requirements.
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a group, to accomplish individual and team objectives.
- Independently resolve difficult customer problems.
- Ability to travel 15% of the time for business purposes
- May be asked to be on-call for after-hours phone support (as needed)
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.