Pfizer Worldwide Research and Development – La Jolla is seeking a talented and creative research scientist in the Structural Biology and Protein Sciences (SBPS) Group within the Department of Oncology Medicinal Chemistry.
The successful candidate will have significantly demonstrated expertise in exploiting protein biophysical methods to enable challenging structural biology. The successful candidate will work independently, and as part of teams, to provide biophysical insights toward ensuring that protein deliveries are fit for purpose (primarily X-ray crystallography, cryoEM and biochemical assay), establishing SBDD platforms and impacting projects at a strategic level.
- Development and application of various biophysical methods to answer challenging and complex questions in structural biology
- Extend current biophysical capabilities within SBPS
- Lead the identification and utilization of emerging BP technologies
- Ensure functionality and calibration of existing instrumentation
- Train colleagues
Education and Training
- PhD and postdoctoral experience in Biophysics or a closely related field.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills which facilitate knowledge sharing and scientific discussions.
- Ability to quickly and effectively operate, communicate and influence decision making within cross-functional and multi-disciplinary drug discovery teams.
- Expertise in biophysical characterization (AUC, DSC, fluorescence spectroscopy, SAXS, SEC-MALS and DLS) of proteins and macromolecular complexes.
- Extensive experience with analysis of protein-ligand (protein:small molecule, protein:protein and protein:nucleic acid) interactions (e.g. ITC, SPR, MST), ideally with expertise for weak affinity ligands (fragments) and covalent inhibitors.
- Ability to integrate new, impactful and cutting-edge protein biophysical methods.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
- Grade: 8
- Eligible for Relocation Package
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
INTERESTED CANDIDATES PLEASE APPLY AT http://pfizer.com/careers AND SEARCH FOR REQ# 1607383. ONLY APPLICANTS RECEIVED THROUGH THE WEBSITE WILL BE CONSIDERED.