Development Engineer - Injection Blow Molding
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
What You'll Get to Do:
As a Development Engineer for injection blow molding, your ideas will bring new products to life as you design and develop process and manufacturing plans from concept to launch. You'll be developing a wide variety of new injection blow molded products and playing a significant role in affecting new product introductions. Your expertise in design for manufacturability, plastics materials, equipment and processes will help us rapidly deliver profitable products. You will lead product and process development projects, develop plans that meet specifications and be a key solutions provider. Make an impact for your career, our customers and the world with this exciting opportunity to collaborate with others like you to drive change, implement new technology and mentor team members.
How You'll Make a Difference:
· Process Design and Development: Review product designs to enhance Design for Manufacturability, determine process feasibility and development options, select equipment and tooling. You'll then work on development plans with mold makers, contract manufacturers, prototyping services, equipment or other service suppliers.
· Engineering Project Management: Plan and execute the broader process development activities within a cross functional team, from concept through product launch.
· Detailed Process Development: Develop detailed process development plans by applying failure mode analysis, process analytical tools, design of experiments, sound plastic part and mold design practices. Your final manufacturing plans will meet specifications for product, mold and equipment requirements within project capital and product cost guidelines.
· Verification and Validation: You'll own and be accountable for FAT, IQ, OQ, PQ activities to ensure process verification and validation for molds, equipment and molding processes. You'll also assist in maintaining intellectual property rights for new processes.
· Partner with Great Coworkers: Communicate with Marketing, Product Development, Industrial Design and other Operations team members to resolve process, mold and equipment details that differ from concepts or new product specifications. Celebrate your process development success and plans as you present at review meetings.
· B.S. Degree in Mechanical, Chemical, or Plastics Engineering or related field or equivalent relevant work experience of 8 or more years.
· Five or more years of process development experience with Injection Blow Molded and/or Injection Stretch Blow molded products (blow molding).
· Extensive experience with establishing process conditions and solving product quality issues by understanding the relationships of material, product design, tooling, machine and processing conditions.
· Experience with evaluating and selecting mold tooling, plastic resins and processing equipment.
· Experience with structured process qualifications, design of experiments, data analysis and technical writing is desired.
· Experience with Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP), ISO standards, Lean Manufacturing concepts and familiarization of FDA regulations desired.
· Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally (up to 10- 20% of the time).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Excellent technical skills, including demonstrated project management, organization, and planning.
· Analytical nature, responds positively to challenges and a problem solver
· Responsive, results oriented and task driven
· Proficiency in engineering project and resource management, timelines, and capital budgets.
· Demonstrated ability to apply problem solving methodology to understand root cause and implement solutions.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.