Research Project Manager
Research Project Manager
The Data Facility Team at the NYU Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP) in Downtown Brooklyn seeks a Research Project Manager to help support the rapid expansion of our Data Facility research portfolio. Data Facility services—dataset curation, data discovery, analysis, collaboration tools, and publishing support—enable users across academia and local, state and federal governments to intentionally link administrative records with sensor and image data that fosters a culture of analysis, assessment and program improvement. Research users span the social sciences, computing sciences, civil engineering, and the physical sciences. This position will provide support for complex projects spanning three main program elements: (i.) applied data analytics executive education, (ii.) systems architecture and software engineering for the build out of the data facility systems, and (iii.) sponsored research project management work.
Position responsibilities include managing budgets of high-dollar value, management of research resources and supplier relationships, coordination of various meetings and tasks across diverse teams in addition to supporting the allocation of common project resources. Incumbent must be able to work effectively, both independently and in complex teams, across multiple projects on a concurrent basis.
Data Facility Project Management & Planning
- Help develop and document project plans including timelines, schedules, resources/software/hardware requirements and deliverables;
- Track and report project timelines and progress to the Data Facility team. Report on barriers to progress and propose solutions;
- Help coordinate large projects by designing and maintaining a schedule of regular meetings at various levels of project interaction (engineers, researchers, partners, stakeholders, etc.);
- Work with data privacy officer to negotiate data use agreements;
- Assist in the preparation of meeting agendas, notes, scope of work documents, draft reports and presentations;
- Communicate and collaborate with faculty members, engineers and other researchers within and across project groups, partners, and external organizations, as needed.
Budget & Program Management
- Ensure projects are resourced and implemented correctly, within budget and on time;
- Budget expenses for projects and general research; track and report on those budgets to the Data Facility Principal Investigator;
- Work closely with CUSP’s grants manager and finance manager to control and monitor program cost summaries, revising budgets as necessary for approval by PI
- Ensure NYU and CUSP research policies are adhered to including data privacy, risk management, data stewardship, intellectual property and security;
Sponsored Research Project Management
- Assist Data Facility Principal Investigator with research contract development and grant writing;
- Coordinate grant writing and submission, including budget compliance;
- Assist in crafting proposed scope of work documents coordinating, as necessary, with third party vendors and team partners.
- Oversee staff recruitment processes (e.g. consultants, students, etc.) and equipment purchases;
- Work closely with sponsored research administration to help coordinate grant activities related to sub awards and sub contracts;
- Coordinate the documentation of all items necessary for reporting and ensure that all reports are in compliance and submitted on time;
- Guide administrative staff in submission of travel expenses and other grant disbursements.
Five years of relevant project management experience including:
- Experience with Datacenter build outs and migration projects;
- Experience with Infrastructure project management;
- Experience with managing an interdisciplinary team
- Experience with coordination with external stakeholders;
- Experience developing project plans which identify key issues, problems, timetables and resources;
- Experience with tracking the projects and tracking and reporting on budgets;
- Experience acting as liaison, problem solver, and facilitator.
- Experience planning and facilitating meetings;
- Experience with project management software;
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities*:
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to think strategically to execute both short and long term technology planning;
- Ability to work independently and deal effectively with multiple heterogeneous teams;
- Detail oriented with strong budget management skills;
- Background knowledge in computer or social science;
- Familiarity with information technology; and
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
*Some travel may be required.
Masters or PhD degree
Demonstrated experience with grant and contract proposal development. Demonstrated strong writing and communication skills. Demonstrated experience successfully managing government sponsored research projects involving large data collection projects. Prior experience in analytic or managerial roles in research teams or industry preferred. Prior experience in Systems or Network administration is also a plus.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
PMP certification or equivalent certification. Familiarity with Python, Jupyter, SQL, programming languages and information architecture and design. Familiarity with academic research standards and laws addressing confidential data is also a plus.
EOE/AA/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity