Associate Editor (m/f) Scientific Reports
- London or Berlin -
Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Scientific Reports is a primary research journal from the publishers of Nature, covering all areas of the natural and clinical sciences. Online and open access, Scientific Reports publishes a high volume of scientifically valid, original research papers, without barriers to access. With the support of external Editorial Board Members, papers are rapidly peer reviewed to ensure they are technically sound.
As an Associate Editor, you will support the Chief Editor and Deputy Editor of Scientific Reports in managing the Editorial Board and editorial decision-making processes across the journal, making editorial decisions for specific cases and manuscripts where required, and supporting the editorial workflow and peer-review process.
This is a fantastic opportunity for somebody with a passion for science to break into an editorial career on a high-profile, fast-paced, multidisciplinary journal.
What you will be doing
- Editorial and journal development
- Assist in the daily management of the journal workflow, with the objective of providing rapid, constructive peer review and publication
- Respond to authors, reviewers, EBMs, editorial advisory panellists and readers of Scientific Reports in a timely fashion
- Work with the publishing team in the allocation of manuscripts to EBMs
- Liaise with EBMs on an on-going basis to follow up on peer review and final decisions, ensuring decision policies are adhered to at all times by EBMs
- Resolve pre- and post- publication issues raised by staff, EBMs and readers (e.g. authorship, scope, ethics and consent, misconduct)
- Input to policy development initiatives and implement editorial policy as required
- Establish and maintain relationships with EBMs, including attending in-person meetings, and supporting initiatives to further improve engagement
- Manage recruitment and training of new EBMs where required
- Represent Scientific Reports at international and national conferences as required
- Be an active member of the Springer Nature editorial community, engaging with editorial colleagues on other journals and driving collaboration on projects as necessary
- PhD or equivalent in natural sciences (physical sciences preferred)
- Thorough understanding of the scientific research community and its needs
- Strong interpersonal, communication and influencing skills, and fluent in English (written and spoken)
- Sound knowledge of and interest in science in general
- Highly self-motivated, resourceful and achievement-oriented
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong workload management and organisational skills
- Active, supportive team player
- Willingness to travel internationally
For candidates applying for the Berlin based position -
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes
- Varied and interesting tasks
- An excellent working environment with flat hierarchies
- A good work life balance with fair working hours of 37 hours/week + a generous and flexible vacation package of 30 days/year
- Discounted public transport
- Discounted book prices
- An excellent on-site cafeteria
We will start reviewing applications on the 8th September. Applications will be considered until this position is filled.
Working Hours: Full-time
Company and Location: Springer Science + Business Media Deutschland GmbH, Berlin
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and