Fellowship Call for Application - Privacy and security analytics
ESR4: Privacy and security analytics
HIRING INSTITUTION: Philips Electronics Nederland B.V. (the Netherlands)
PHD ENROLLMENT: PhD position in Computer Science at the Arenberg Doctoral School KU Leuven (Belgium, http://set.kuleuven.be/phd)
ESR will work within Philips' Data Science department whose mission is to lead Philips into the Digital era through world-class innovations based on data science. The focus of the department is on applying and advancing the automated methods used to extract new insights/knowledge from data. The department builds on several interconnected competences including machine learning, statistics, probability models, pattern recognition, computer vision, signal processing and data engineering. We use the advances in the aforementioned scientific disciplines, as well as new digital platforms to create innovation for Philips businesses by extracting insights from various sources like health records, sensors, mobile devices, Web, and social networking sites. Next to that, security and privacy are addressed and taken into account already in the design phase of Philips digital propositions. The department plays a crucial role in digital and data intensive research projects using these competences.
In the domains of smart homes and healthcare, the life of people is improved by devices that gather personal data and process it, into relevant health information using third party smart services and technology providers (e.g. cloud and Big Data analytics services). While the use of IoT devices can bring advantages in terms of efficiency, convenience, and costs, their use raises privacy concerns regarding the users and their personal activity data. The sensitive nature of this data and sharing it with a centralized server (e.g. cloud) raise privacy concerns, even if the latter is well protected. These privacy concerns can be addressed by using an end-to-end approach to privacy and data protection and building systems with privacy embedded in the system architecture, while coherently integrating health-specific privacy, security and legal requirements.
The following objectives are proposed:
- Perform security and privacy threat assessment of the proposed HEART architecture;
- Create a reusable domain-specific IoT knowledge base for state-of-the-art security and privacy threat assessment;
- Design systems with privacy embedded in the system architecture design (e.g. using early risk assessment);
- Identify existing privacy and security solutions that can enhance a wearables-centric architecture;
- Design and develop threat analysis and analytics for security in order to identify irregular, undesired and/or prohibited system behavior;
- Invent and validate in industrial project teams new digital security technologies for use in Philips products and services;
- Participate in research projects that address digital security challenges, create intellectual property and transfer the results to Philips businesses;
- Contribute to the Philips research roadmap by new ideas and winning new proposals;
- Novel privacy-enabled system architectures;
- Efficient privacy by design for data sharing systems.
- Adoption of the newly designed solutions in industry (Philips products).
INDICATIVE PLANNED SECONDMENTS - Institution, place and timing expressed in contract month (M)
- University of Macerata (Macerata, Italy) - M4
- KU Leuven (Leuven, Belgium) - M7-8
- University of Macerata (Macerata, Italy) - M12-13
- KU Leuven (Leuven, Belgium) - M14
- Fudan University (Shanghai, China) - M17-19
- KU Leuven (Leuven, Belgium) - M24
- University of Macerata (Macerata, Italy) - M25
- KU Leuven (Leuven, Belgium) - M34-36
Further analysis might be required, based on the development of research project.
ADDITIONAL ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS: Master degree with distinction (cum laude) in computer science, mathematics or another relevant area.
DESIRABLE REQUIREMENTS: A strong inclination to and background in digital security and /or cryptography, software engineering, privacy protection and security risk analysis, preferably proven by relevant scientific results.
Download the complete Call for application and How to apply via this link:
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and