Senior / Staff Scientist, Protein Directed Evolution
Encodia is an emerging, early stage biotech company developing the next generation of protein analysis tools. Encodia is seeking an experienced protein engineer with extensive background in directed evolution at the Senior/Staff Scientist level. This individual will be responsible for leading a small team of scientists focused on using structure-based protein design and directed evolution and to evolve to molecular functions. Extensive experience with phage display, mRNA display or similar molecular evolution-based approaches is essential. If you are passionate and bring your best everyday, enjoy taking calculated risks and operating with urgency, and enjoy a dynamic engagement with a bright teams of scientists and engineers, then Encodia may be the place for you. Encodia is also hiring additional scientists in protein engineering, assay development, peptide, protein, and surface chemistry. Please see website for job postings: www.encodia.com.
- Implement directed evolution to evolve new protein affinities and substrate specificities.
- Generate structure-based design high-diversity protein libraries for combinatorial directed evolution approaches.
- Develop scalable phage display platform and other directed evolution approaches to support high-throughput workflows.
- Optimize binding affinities through affinity maturation using error prone PCR, DNA shuffling, and directed engineering approaches.
- Develop HT in vitro and biophysical assays to characterize engineered proteins.
- Work closely across disciplines and across multiple projects to support technology integration.
- Support business development efforts and IP development.
- PhD in molecular biology, protein engineering, biochemistry, or related field with 5+ years of postdoc and industrial experience in directed evolution of proteins.
- Expertise in a broad range of molecular biology, protein expression and purification techniques a must.
- Expertise in protein engineering and directed evolution is a must.
- Demonstrated success with multiple directed evolution platforms such as phage display, yeast display, and/or mRNA display technologies a strong plus.
- Experience with structure-based protein design a plus.
- Experience with automating protein engineering workflows a plus.
- Experience in managing a small research group.
- Highly self-motivated, proactive, and collaborative.