System Administrator Unix/Linux
BSC-CNS (Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación) is the National Supercomputing Facility in Spain and manages MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe. The mission of BSC-CNS is to investigate, develop and manage information technology in order to facilitate scientific progress. With this aim, special dedication has been taken to areas such as Computer Sciences, Life Sciences, Earth Sciences and Computational Applications in Science and Engineering
Look at the BSC experience:
Context and Mission of the role
The Operations Department ensures the continuous daily functioning of the RES supercomputers and remote access by users both within Spain and internationally. In addition to all the routine maintenance and operations tasks, the Department staff is also heavily involved in planning and designing new systems and support facilities. At the moment we are looking for a System administrator that will be in charge of the tasks below.
- Installation, maintenance, update and resolution of issues related to IT services of the centre (mail, web, databases, servers, etc.)
- Request and administration of hardware issues of the several supercomputer clusters of BSC, such as MareNostrum.
- Configuration and administration of the different storage subsystems and backup system, specially the tape-based solutions
- Responsible for the installation, configuration and maintenance of the batch scheduling system of the BSC HPC resources
- Responsible for the installation, configuration and maintenance of the HPC monitoring systems
- Administration of the accounting and job execution logs in the different HPC resources and the development of the associated tools to query them
- Maintenance and continuous improvement of the existing applications developed at BSC in the areas of the performance team responsibilities: Accounting, Batch Scheduling system, Performance monitoring, Automatic user administration at the batch scheduling system, Analysis and reporting about the scheduling behavior
- Continuous monitoring, analysis and improvement of the system performance in the HPC clusters
- Apart from system administration tasks inside BSC, this position will give support to technical tasks in different technical European projects that BSC is participating, such as, PRACE, HBP, EUDAT, etc.
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and