Associate Principal Investigator, Virology (#569)
Associate Principal Investigator, Virology (#569)
BACKGROUND The National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC) is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center managed and operated by the Battelle National Biodefense Institute (BNBI) for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). PRIMARY FUNCTION The Associate Principal Investigator (Virology) is responsible for designing and executing research studies in the National Biological Threat Characterization Center (NBTCC) at the NBACC which address specific scientific questions of national significance in support of biodefense preparedness, response, and recovery. Areas of research include a range of topics related to the physical, biological, molecular and/or pathogenic properties of viral agents. The Associate Principal Investigator (Virology) is responsible for executing laboratory projects, providing accurate status reports and meeting project milestones/deliverables and/or providing early warnings of deviations from NBACC Project Plans. The Associate Principal Investigator (Virology) will establish an expanded molecular virology capability within NBTCC and mentor junior staff in the lab as appropriate. Work will be performed in Select Agent-approved state-of-the-art BSL-2/3/4 and ABSL-2/3/4 facilities fully staffed and equipped with a wide range of technologies useful for biodefense and infectious disease research.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Requires a PhD (or equivalent) in a scientific discipline or engineering, and a minimum of 2 years related experience; may include post-doctoral experience.
• Ability to work on problems of diverse scope in which analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors, with expert knowledge of complex scientific principles and concepts.
• Proficiency and clarity of oral and written communications are essential. • Exemplary organizational skills with a proven track record of working effectively both independently and as a team player.
• Knowledge or experience with biocontainment facilities and procedures, laboratory safety, biosurety, and decontamination desirable.
• Knowledge or experience with Quality Assurance (QA) programs such as ISO 9001 or ISO 17025 and/or Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)/Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) desirable.
• Must be a citizen of the United States, able to obtain an interim secret clearance leading to a top secret clearance, suitability for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), a favorable adjudication of the Department of Justice (DoJ) for select agent access, and enrollment in the Personnel Reliability Program (PRP). Current clearance(s) desirable.
• Participation in the Immunization Program through Corporate Occupational Health Solutions, LLC (CorpOHS) is required.
• May be required to participate in NBACC’s alternative work and/or on-call schedule, dependent upon business needs. MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
• Demonstrated strong record of conducting molecular virology research using orthogonal approaches to elucidate complex molecular mechanisms of virus-host interactions.
• Ability to effectively manage and prioritize multiple parallel laboratory activities and communicate the prioritization of these activities to stakeholders is essential.
• Ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment where results are achieved through influence and the incorporation of multiple points of view and dynamic teams.
• Independently motivated, detail oriented and excellent problem solving skills.
• Performs highly skilled and specialized laboratory research utilizing experimental protocols that may include: viral reverse genetics systems, nucleic acid extraction, quantitative RT-PCR analysis, host and/or viral gene/protein expression analyses, viral microtitration assays, next generation sequencing using Illumina platforms and other molecular methods as appropriate.
• Proficiency using standard molecular biology software tools (VectorNTI, LaserGene, etc.).
• Experience in Biosafety Level 3 and/or 4 is preferred.
• Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
• Ability to formulate difficult science hypothesis and demonstrated success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought, with the possibility to be a technical project lead on multiple projects.
• May determine methods and procedures on new assignments, while mentoring lower level personnel.
• Maintains a safe work environment by participating in specialized training and review of safety manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Identifies departures from the Quality Management System (QMS) and initiates actions to investigate and prevent such occurrences.
• Maintains and evaluates records of analysis and reviews laboratory results, plans and reports.
• Ensures that equipment, reagents and supplies are maintained and used properly.
• Directs, prioritizes, schedules and provides technical expertise to staff to conduct work.
• Maintains appropriate records.
• Performs other assigned duties.
BNBI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.