Assistant Professor of Bioinformatics
University of Puget Sound
Assistant Professor of Bioinformatics
Job ID: 3687
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Appointment: Department of Biology, full-time tenure-line Assistant Professor position; begins Fall, 2018.
The Department of Biology at the University of Puget Sound, a predominantly undergraduate liberal arts college in Tacoma, Washington, seeks to recruit a tenure-line Assistant Professor with interests and experience in applied bioinformatics. Excellence in teaching is highly valued at Puget Sound and we expect the individual in this position to teach undergraduate courses in the areas of molecular biology/genetics from the introductory level through upper-division courses, including a course in applied bioinformatics, and work with faculty to incorporate applied bioinformatics and computational biology into new and existing courses within the biology curriculum. A typical teaching load consists of one class with its three accompanying laboratory sections, or the equivalent, each semester. We expect the individual in this position to develop an active research program in their areas of bioinformatics and computational biology that incorporates undergraduate research opportunities, and who complements existing research efforts in the Department of Biology. We are interested in a wide variety of model and non-model systems and bioinformatics applications.
Ph.D. in Biology, Bioinformatics, or similar discipline. Postdoctoral experience desired.
Compensation and Benefits:
Rank: Assistant Professor
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Puget Sound offers a generous benefits package. For more information, visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/offices--services/human-resources/overview-of-university-benefit/.
About Puget Sound: The University of Puget Sound is located in Tacoma, Washington, a vibrant, diverse mid-sized urban port city. Within, and near, Tacoma there is ready access to urban, rural, and natural areas as well as opportunities to participate in a wide variety of cultural activities.
• We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.
• We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community.
• We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. To learn more please visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/diversity-at-puget-sound/
Application Deadline: Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient number of qualified candidates have been identified. Interested individuals are encouraged to submit application materials no later than October 1, 2017 to ensure consideration.
Please submit curriculum vitae (CV) when prompted to submit resume. Additional documents can be attached within the application before submission. Applications submitted without the required attachments will not be considered.
• Curriculum vitae
• Letter of interest
• Teaching statement
• Research statement (to include information of the applicant's proficiency with computer programming languages, such as Python, Perl, R etc.)
• Diversity Statement (see details below)
• Teaching evaluations
• One recent publication/dissertation chapter (PDF)
• Three (3) Letters of Reference. You will be asked to specify the email addresses of reference providers at the time of application and the system will email these providers on the next business day.
Candidate's Diversity Statement. As a department and university, we are strongly committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, and working environment for all. In the candidate's diversity statement, applicants should comment on their ability to contribute meaningfully to our on-going commitment to be informed and competent with regard to issues of diversity, equity, and individual differences. We encourage applicants to reference the University of Puget Sound's current Diversity Strategic Plan (DSP) at http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/diversity-at-puget-sound/diversity-strategic-plan/ prior to writing this statement. While not an exhaustive list, the following are some ways candidates can express their qualification:
• Your lived experiences and/or identities that speak to the department and university's commitment to inclusion and diversity;
• Demonstration of your awareness of inequities for underrepresented student populations in education, research experience, and other opportunities;
• Brief insights on why diversity is important at institutions like the University of Puget Sound;
• Infusion of diversity and diversity-related issues into your research, pedagogy, and/or service;
• Previous and/or current activities involving mentoring underrepresented student populations;
• Creative ideas or strategies you could enact as a member of the University of Puget Sound campus community to support the university's DSP;
• Brief insights on how cultural competency increases one's effectiveness as an educator and department/university colleague.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background inquiry.
The University of Puget Sound is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1068060
About Puget Sound
Puget Sound is a selective national liberal arts college in Tacoma, Washington, drawing 2,600 students from 48 states and 20 countries. Puget Sound graduates include Rhodes and Fulbright scholars, notables in the arts and culture, entrepreneurs and elected officials, and leaders in business and finance locally and throughout the world. A low student-faculty ratio provides Puget Sound students with personal attention from faculty who have a strong commitment to teaching and offer 1,200 courses each year in more than 40 traditional and interdisciplinary fields, including graduate programs in occupational and physical therapy and in education. Puget Sound is the only nationally ranked independent undergraduate liberal arts college in Western Washington, and one of just five independent colleges in the Pacific Northwest granted a charter by Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s most prestigious academic honorary society. Visit "About Puget Sound" (http://www.pugetsound.edu/about) to learn more about the college.
As a strategic goal and through our core values, University of Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. EOE/AA
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.