(Senior) / Research Technician in Structural Biology
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host research facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
We are seeking a full-time Research Technician/Senior Research Technician to support life sciences research within the Research Complex at Harwell by Diamond Light Source research groups.
Structural biology of soluble and membrane proteins (bacterial and human) forms the majority of the work carried out exploiting diffraction, solution scattering, X-ray imaging and single particle cryo-electron microscopy and cryo-electron tomography. Production of test proteins for quality control and to aid methods and instrumentation developments at the Diamond beamlines also forms part of the role. The post will contribute to research through facilitating on-going projects by the Diamond groups in the Research complex, collaborate in joint activities with the OPPF-UK and the MPL laboratories and aid generally to the efficient use of the biology laboratories.
You should have a strong background in protein purification and expression of recombinant proteins with cloning experience being essential at the senior level. Experience in MX is also desirable at the senior level and the successful applicant will have the opportunity to develop their research work, present progress and publish work. You will work as part of a team, be well organized and able to plan your time efficiently and effectively. You should be familiar with good laboratory practices and safety procedures and requirements and have the ability to communicate and collaborate in a team environment.
If you are interested in this role, and have the skills and experience we are looking for, please apply online as detailed below.
- Working in support of the laboratory research scientists to:
- Contribute to research projects through engaging with research groups and providing assistance in particular for recombinant protein production for crystallography, solution scattering and electron microscopy research projects
- Contribute to MX beamline quality control protocols through delivery of standard crystals for beamline calibration and software/pipeline developments
- Contribute to protocol developments within the lab and life science beamlines
- Contribute to general running of the laboratory and upkeep and operation of equipment;
- Ensuring the laboratory is well-stocked and resourced;
- Following and ensuring safety procedures and safety checks are maintained
We offer comprehensive benefits including flexible working arrangements.
For further information and to apply, please click on the apply button, to visit our website.
Closing date: 27 August 2017.
Interview date: 11 September 2017.
We are committed to equality of opportunities for all and our employees come from many countries, cultures and backgrounds.