The Inova Translational Medical Institute is hiring an experienced Software Engineer.
As a member of the multidisciplinary bioinformatics team, you may contribute, but not necessarily be limited to, the following activities:
• Implementation and management of data analysis pipelines using the cloud environment or internal high performance compute clusters.
• Development of exploration and visualization tools for internal and external large datasets.
• Support big genomic data algorithm and analytics development on Hadoop/Spark platforms.
• Support research and high-throughput omics data analysis for internal clinical lab and other institutes within the Inova Health Systems
The Inova Translational Medicine Institute (ITMI) is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) research institute established February 2011 by the Inova Health System (IHS). The IHS is comprised of 5 community hospitals plus a variety of component outpatient and specialty clinics in Northern Virginia. It is the largest provider of health care services in the DC metropolitan area with approximately 22,000 births and 2 million patient visits per year. Its hospitals provide a full range of clinical services to the community and metropolitan region. ITMI has access to the clinical services of the hospital to support research projects. ITMI is Inova’s visionary initiative to bring personalized medicine to Northern Virginia and the world. It is leading the transformation of healthcare from a reactive to a predictive model using technological innovation, pioneering research and sophisticated information management. ITMI has compiled one of the world’s largest genomic datasets; petabytes of data continue to be generated.
We offer a unique opportunity to work on integration of high-throughput omics data, individual health records, and individual environment factors -- ideal for those wanting to make an impact transforming translational research.
• Experience of techniques used in bioinformatics, genomics and statistical genetics, with particular expertise in computational approaches to genomic analyses.
• Familiarity of industry standard web development tools.
• Familiarity of relational and NoSQL databases design, data warehousing and data Modeling.
• Familiarity using Cloud Services such as AWS
• Good statistical programming skills (ideally R).
• A portfolio of open source software engineering projects.
Required qualifications and skills:
• M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science, software engineering or a related field.
• A good understanding of full software development lifecycle.
• Excellent computational skills, ideally in a programming language such as, Java, C++, or Python.
• Experience with Linux and use of a high performance compute cluster.
• Ability to work independently and also as part of a team.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.