ASM Journals Fellowship
The American Society for Microbiology (ASM) has an opening for an ASM Journals Fellow. The purpose of the fellowship is to conduct research and analysis in peer-reviewed scientific publishing. Specific research areas that have been initially identified include:
- Basic research projects, e.g., gender balance
- Service component, e.g., developing automated reporting tools for individual title stats
- Bibliometric research using HW Vizor tools, Web of Science, Scopus
- Best practices for big datasets referenced in journal articles, e.g., required deposits in repositories, annotation, open data policies, data sharing
- Calculate “sub-IFs” for microbial science papers
This is a unique opportunity for those interested in understanding and advancing rigorous scholarly publication in microbial sciences. The candidate will work closely with ASM’s incoming Journals Board Chair, Pat Schloss, PhD, and ASM Journals Director, Barbara Goldman, PhD.
ASM is the largest single life science society, composed of over 50,000 scientists and health professionals. ASM's mission is to promote and advance the microbial sciences.
In pursuit of its mission, ASM currently publishes 17 scientific journals. The ASM journals are the most prominent publications in the field of microbial sciences, publishing articles that produce 52% of all microbiology citations and 27% of all microbiology articles. With over 90 years of experience, ASM journals are an authoritative source for the latest in microbiology research.
Skills/qualifications needed for the fellowship include:
- Doctoral degree, preferably in microbial sciences
- Understanding and knowledge of scientific peer review publishing
- Experience conducting statistical analyses and data management
- Demonstrated ability to research, synthesize, write and communicate orally findings
- Ability to conduct bibliographic analysis
- Proven proficiency to plan, organize and manage multiple projects from start to finish
- Demonstrated ability to balance independent work and working collaboratively with others
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite and R; prior use of git a plus
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- The candidate needs to be an ASM member at the moment of application. Those who intend to apply and are not member, can join ASM by visiting the page http://asmscience.org/content/membership/all
The ASM Journals Fellow will be located in the lab of Pat Schloss at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. The fellow will take direction and oversight from the Journals Board Chair and Director.
Salary is $52,000 annually plus health insurance benefits
This is a 12-month, full-time position.
Opening Date: June 26, 2017
Closing Date: September 1, 2017
Start Date: Mid-September
Application includes submission of a CV, letter of interest and names/contact information for three references. The letter of interest should include:
- Why you are interested in applying for this fellowship and how you will contribute to its purpose
- Your previous work experience emphasizing those aspects of your experience that are relevant to this position--what activities, resources and networks might be transferable to this position?
- Your skills and knowledge emphasizing those relevant to this position--consider what makes you more qualified than others for the position
First round interviews will take place in Ann Arbor, Michigan with second round interviews to take place in Washington, DC. Travel expenses to be provided for both interviews.
For questions and submission of applications please send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
ASM is committed to equal employment opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee. It has been and will continue to be the policy of the ASM to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran's status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibility, matriculation, political affiliation or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. The ASM also is committed to accommodating individuals with disabilities and the religious beliefs and practices of its employees and applicants, as required by law.
The Society maintains an Affirmative Action Plan designed to ensure equal employment opportunities for minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans.
These policies govern all phases of employment at ASM.
Apply for ASM Journals Fellowship
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly