Scientist III, Genotyping by Sequencing
The Eureka Genotyping Solution is moderate SNP-plex and high sample throughput genotyping that leverages the low cost and speed of next generation sequencing. We seek a Molecular Biology, Scientist III to join the team and assist with the creation of custom panels and improvement of the assay to be faster with less input.
- As a lab bench scientist you will understand and improve the Eureka Genotyping Solution workflow and participate in the development of custom and catalog panels. Recognizing the client's perspective and the business goals is critical.
- You independently perform complex experiments with strong attention to detail and documentation and adhere to project team timelines.
- You have a working knowledge of nucleic acid hybridization, PCR, gel electrophoresis, and library generation as well as results interpretation individually and with senior scientists. You do not shy away from documentation, required trainings, report writing and presenting.
- You are driven to make a difference. You contribute to making Thermo Fisher Scientific one of the world's most admired companies. You actively engage with Thermo Fisher Scientific's values of integrity, intensity, innovation and involvement.
- Participate in the training of end users and in the automation/transfer of the Eureka Genotyping Solution to automation and off site locations.
- Accurately and consistently perform multiple small volume transfer steps (requires precise pipetting into and out of multiple 384 well plates with multichannel pipettes).
- Generate libraries and lane blends and run a NextSeq.
- Create de novo and revise MOPs, DOPs, SOPs and QOPs.
- Prepare routine reports in a templated format and non-templated formats that summarize experiments performed and the results obtained, interpretation and likely next steps.
- Participate in generation of RCA, sales collateral, manuals, white papers and posters.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and document work (including lots and calibration due dates) in a current laboratory notebook.
- Perform risk and profitability assessments and implement changes to reduce risk and increase profitability.
- Present status at weekly meetings (and more often as requested).
- Participate in maintaining the safety of the office and laboratory environments and their compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- A degree in biochemistry, biology or microbiology.
- 10+ years lab experience, preferably in a for profit setting.
- Experience with Excel a must.
- Experience with liquid handlers (automated and manual) and 384 well plates a must.
- Excessive attention to detail is required (multiple variable experiments are common), while understanding global goals.
- Able to work independently for the direct responsibilities, with a team for the project transition points and with senior scientists for research.
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- Excellent time management and organization skills.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.