The Science family of journals is seeking a full-time Editor to help shape the growth and development of our journal, Science Immunology which was launched in July 2016. We are looking for an exceptional scientific editor with broad interests in immunology, a lively curiosity, and experience with peer review of scholarly research in the sciences. Responsibilities include executing the editorial mission of the journal and managing the editorial team. The Editor will also handle the review, selection, and editing of manuscripts, working with authors on revisions; soliciting reviews and special issues; and fostering contacts and communication with the scientific community. Candidates are expected to travel to scientific meetings. Please apply at http://bit.ly/IMMEDTR by August 25, 2017.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Editorial responsibilities include the selection, review, and editing of research manuscripts; solicitation of review articles and special issues; and of the commentary section of the journal
- Be the primary editor for a subset of papers
- Provide strategic guidance for the journal’s development, goals, and content
- Supervise staff editors, monitor the editorial budget, and work closely with senior editorial and publishing staff to establish uniform policies and procedures
- Foster contacts and communication with the scientific community; attend meetings and liaise with top researchers in the field of immunology
- Interface with AAAS business, publishing, and marketing departments
- PhD in a scientific discipline with postdoctoral research experience and multiple publications
- Minimum 7 years of editorial experience
- Demonstrated skill in selecting and editing scientific research content
- Excellent written and oral communications skills are essential
- Strong ability to work constructively as a member of a team
- Management experience is a plus
- An aptitude and passion for the communication of science
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects
- Knowledge of scholarly publishing and the competitive landscape is a plus
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter by August 25, 2017. Up to three writing or other work samples may also be included as separate documents with your application. If we think you might be a good fit for the role, we will contact you with next steps.
AAAS is an EO Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.