Associate Editor for
Science Signaling is seeking a talented scientist interested in signal transduction in the immune system to join the editorial team in Washington, DC. The core responsibility of this role will be to manage the evaluation, review, and editing of manuscripts for Science Signaling, an interdisciplinary journal established in 1999, which covers cellular signaling and regulation in a range of fields with a particular emphasis on mechanisms underlying physiology and disease.
The Associate Editor position is a full-time position designed for a PhD scientist with postdoctoral research experience. Candidates should have a lively curiosity, excellent communication skills, and experience with cutting-edge research in the field of signaling in the immune system. Interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter to http://bit.ly/SCISIGAE by August 27, 2017.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Judge the scientific value of research and select reviewers for submitted manuscripts
- Discuss and make recommendations regarding manuscripts and reviews with other staff, advisors, and authors
- Guide authors on manuscript revisions and edit the manuscripts for scientific content and style before and after revisions
- Write summaries of research results for publication
- Help to curate the published literature for the benefit of readers
- Commission and edit Review, Perspective, and Focus articles on a broad range of topics
- Foster relationships and communication with the scientific community through conferences and professional contacts
- Represent Science Signaling at domestic and international scientific meetings
- Mastery of a professional field typically acquired through completion of a doctoral degree in the field of immunology
- 2 to 3 years postdoctoral experience, including postdoctoral research experience in the field of immune cell signaling and multiple publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Ability to work constructively as a member of a tight-knit, dynamic team
- Comprehensive knowledge of scientific research methods in order to discuss technical issues with authors
- Exceptional written, communication, and listening skills in order to communicate with authors and reviewers in evaluating, editing, and modifying manuscripts
- Prior scientific editorial experience is not essential but is an advantage
Interested candidates should submit a resume and brief cover letter outlining their qualifications and interest in the position by August 27, 2017. Up to three writing or other work samples may also be included as separate documents with your application. If we think you might be a good fit for the role, we will contact you about the next steps.
AAAS is an EO Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.