Scientist, Data Science
Moderna is seeking a talented and motivated data scientist with a background in machine learning, statistics, and software engineering to join our Computational Sciences team. As part of our mission to “Build The Digital Biotech Company”, we collect a large volume and variety of data and use it to improve our processes, expand our understanding of the basic science of mRNA therapeutics, and advance programs into the clinic. We are looking for someone to join this effort who exhibits broad scientific curiosity, an excellent work ethic, and a desire to directly contribute to the development of novel mRNA therapeutics and vaccines that will improve the lives of patients.
- Support and conduct a wide variety of research via data analysis and visualization, algorithm development, and experimental design
- Develop, and apply statistical and mathematical models to improve automated mRNA manufacturing processes and advance therapeutic programs into clinical trials
- Leverage all relevant in-house, commercial, and publicly available datasets and help shape the continued growth of our internal data strategy
- Employ best software engineering practices, including thorough testing and documentation
- Communicate findings internally and externally
- Work collaboratively with scientists and software engineers across the company
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computational Biology, Biostatistics, or related discipline
- Demonstrated experience in collecting, cleaning, and analyzing large and/or unstructured datasets and effectively communicating insights
- Fluency in Python, especially the scientific stack (Jupyter, Pandas, Numpy, Scipy, scikit-learn)
- Technical expertise and hands on experience with machine learning techniques, including model evaluation and deployment to production environments. Experience with Deep Learning (TensorFlow, PyTorch) and/or Bayesian (PyMC3) frameworks a plus.
- Track record of publishing scientific research and/or method development
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, Docker, and high-performance computing environments
- Familiarity with best practices in software development, including version control (Git), unit and integration testing, documentation, agile methodology, and deployment
- Working knowledge of relational databases and NoSQL datastores (e.g., MongoDB)
- Outstanding communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to manage multiple projects and effectively collaborate in a dynamic, cross-functional environment
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.