Doctoral grant (BOF) area of Materials selection throughout the design process
The Department of Product Development of the Faculty Design Sciences is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy for a doctoral scholarship in a collaboration between the Faculty of Design Sciences (Product Development) and the Faculty applied economics (Marketing) for a
Doctoral Grant by the University Research Fund (BOF) in the area of Materials selection throughout the design process
It concerns a study to support design engineers in the selection of materials throughout their design process. In addition to the selection criteria for technical material properties, emphasis is also put on the experience that is provoked by users through materials.
Short description research project: Integration of technical and consumer-experiential-based materials selection throughout the design process
With the emergence of new materials, the available set of materials is rapidly growing both in type and number, each with their own characteristics and applications (technical qualifications, but also appeal to the senses of the consumer, attribute specific meanings, provoke intended emotions, and be context-specific). This research focuses on supporting a continuous materials selection throughout the design process.
For more information about conducting research at the Department of Product Development, please check out our website.
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in the field of Product Development.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project of the assignment.
- You contribute to teaching and research in the Faculty of Design Sciences-Product Development.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a master degree in Product Development.
- You can submit outstanding academic results.
- Students in the final year of their degree can also apply.
- The emphases in your teaching correspond to the educational vision of the university.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university's policy.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You fluently speak and write English.
- You master the methodology of integral product development and you have a good material knowledge (both technical and user-centred).
- You have insight in the relationship between sustainable design and material use.
- An added value is research experiences with both qualitative and quantitative methods.
- a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years, renewable for two years after positive evaluation;
- the start date of the scholarship is 1 November 2017;
- a gross monthly grant ranging from € 2.280,27 - € 2.419,84;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online until the closing date 15 August 2017. Your application file should include your CV and cover letter.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications.
- The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place between 21 August and 15 September 2017.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from email@example.com.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Dr. Moons Ingrid (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Du Bois Els (email@example.com).
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and