Postdoctoral Researcher/UK-FELIX Beam-Line Scientist
FELIX is a THz/microwave laser laboratory, where the UK and other parties maintain beam lines for solid-state physics experiments. You will be responsible for running the beam line, and supporting UK visitors. The UK also maintains a subscription to the European Magnetic Field Laboratories at a site next to FELIX. The laboratories have recently been connected for experiments requiring both high field and THz. There are many UK visitors performing a variety of THz techniques on an equally wide range of materials, so this post represents an excellent learning and networking opportunity.
It is anticipated that your start will overlap with the outgoing post-holder for hand-over/training. It is NOT expected that you are already an expert in the following, but experience in some of them (or related techniques) would clearly reduce your learning curve:
- Pulsed THz optical experiments such as pump-probe, photon echo, Ramsey spectroscopy, non-linear Z-scan, etc.;
- THz detectors and transport measurement at 300K and at cryogenic temperature;
- Visible or near-IR laser spectroscopy for two-colour experiments with THz;
- Cyclotron resonance or THz-assisted magneto-transport at high magnetic fields with THz lasers.
You will be expected to assist with:
- preparing set-ups, coordinating logistics of beam-time campaigns, ordering consumables, maintaining/upgrading apparatus, developing control software;
- data reduction and analysis, preparing reports for the beam allocation committee, designing follow-on proposals;
- networking with Users at collaboration meetings to help them design experiments with maximum likelihood of success
- the dissemination of results at conferences for publicity and to attract new Users/projects.
There will be opportunities to work on your own projects at the beam-line, and thus this post is an excellent springboard for an academic research career.
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and