High Level Support Team
The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 500 staff from 44 countries.
Context and Mission
Supercomputers are indispensable tools for solving the most challenging and complex scientific and technological problems through simulations. The Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe, PRACE, is a unique persistent pan-European Research Infrastructure for High Performance Computing (HPC) and forms the top level of the European HPC ecosystem.
In order for the European scientific communities to fully benefit from the performance of leadership-class Tier-0 systems provided by the PRACE 2 Hosting Members, it is mandatory to provide them support through high-level teams in terms of code enabling and optimization of scientific applications. The following vacancy will be part of the BSC High Level Support Team providing 2nd and 3rd level support to the full PRACE tier-0 community. The team will be composed of 6 people and will comprise different HPC expertise providing specific skills in different domain science. The HLST will work on transverse actions including extreme scalability of select European scientific applications and tools towards Exascale, Data Analytics and Machine learning as well as code refactoring.
- Optimize and adapt scientific application codes to PRACE architectures
- Improve the performance of existing parallel codes, improving the serial efficiency and the scalability, changing if necessary the code or helping the developers with their required modifications
- Choose and adapt algorithms and/or mathematical library routines to improve applications to specific computer architectures (accelerators, new programming models, etc)
- Provide consultancy to scientists on new computer architectures and programing models
- Generate performance analysis and benchmarks for selected applications and report the results to the applications developers
- Support to researchers within their work field: Engineering, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, etc
- Address scientific user issues resulted of use PRACE Tier-0 systems
- Collaborate with other functional groups within PRACE on technical matters related to supporting scientific application work
This is not a full definition of the role but covers the main aspects and drivers for success
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and