Senior Scientist - Molecular/Cellular Biology
Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
We are seeking a highly motivated, goal oriented and innovative expert in the field of genome editing and genome engineering to join our team to help drive the continued development of our genome engineering platform and deliver our dynamic, cutting-edge research program. The successful candidate should have and maintain a working knowledge surrounding the state of the art genome editing and genome engineering technologies, be adept at working in a highly collaborative environment, and will be responsible for driving experimental designs and delivery of genome engineering tools, as well as system optimization.
Responsibilities will include design and execution of molecular and cell biology- based experiments utilizing crop genomic and genetic information and knowledge, data analysis, and regular communication of high quality data and results. Developing technologies for efficient delivery of biomolecules and genetic optimization of crop genomes is important in this position as well. The individual should be self-motivated and capable of working independently and/or in a team environment.
- Applies state-of-the-art scientific principles and theories to drive forward genome editing and genome engineering research and development programs.
- Manages the design, execution, analysis, and summarization of research experiments.
- Develops new methods and protocols and integrates new technologies to improve function capability and efficiency
- Participates as a part of the team to deliver results for R&D projects
- Provides scientific expertise and leadership to other research projects
- Contributes to scientific journals, conferences, etc.
Essential Skills & Knowledge
- Excellent knowledge in molecular and cellular biology, genome engineering, genetics, applied genomics, and biochemistry
- Excellent knowledge in plant development, physiology and biotechnology
- Knowledge in plant breeding and agricultural biotechnology
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical and communication skills in interpreting and presenting study results
- Proficiency in use of standard software (e.g., Excel and PowerPoint); familiarity with databases, bioinformatics tools and DNA manipulation software preferred
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability in the context of recombinant DNA technology and genetic engineering optimization
- Demonstrated experience in working effectively as a member of a dynamic technical team
- Flexibility in handling new job assignments and achieving results in a rapidly changing work environment
- Ability to drive change, work independently, and set priorities
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Independent design and implementation of experimental studies
- Collaborate internally and externally to drive capability development.
- Minimal qualifications of Master’s degree with 8+ years of experience or Ph.D. degree with 3+ years of experience
- 2 to 5 years of experience in genome engineering, genome editing, applied genomics or related biotechnology research lab
- Excellent laboratory experience in molecular biology and biochemistry techniques such as recombinant DNA technology, transgene expression regulation and gene function studies
- Excellent skills and experience in cell biology including sterile techniques, cell and tissue culture and transformation
- Plant transformation experience is desirable but not essential
- Experience in quantitative fluorescence imaging technique and cell-based assay a plus
- Excellent track record of delivering research and innovation through journal publications or patent applications
- Travel – up to 5% - Domestic & International
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US
Employee may as part of his/her role and maybe through multifunctional teams participate in the creation and design of innovative solutions. In this context, Employee may contribute to inventions, designs, other work product, including know-how, copyrights, software, innovations, solutions, and other intellectual assets.
Syngenta Contact Information:
If you need assistance during the application process please contact the Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Poster - Link (http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/fmla.htm)
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's (EEOC) poster - Link (http://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/firststep/poster_direct.htm)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Poster - Link (http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/eppa.htm).
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.