Senior Scientist, Diagnostic Informatics
Req #: 17001074
Job Category: Research and Early Development
Work Location: Summit West 556 Morris Avenue SUMMIT 07901
Organization: Celgene Corporation
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Job Type: Standard
Job Level: Manager
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
We seek a talented, collaborative inter-disciplinary scientist to drive research and development of companion diagnostics and precision medicine solutions in close collaboration with Celgene colleagues and strategic research & development partners.
This individual will play a key scientific role, guiding innovative computational analysis strategies towards clinically applicable tests that empower data-driven decisions for therapeutic development programs in Celgene’s Research and Development organization. Key collaborators and stakeholders will include our therapeutic development partners, leaders in Celgene’s Translational Development & Diagnostics (TDD) team, and colleagues in Research Informatics and Knowledge Utilization (RIKU).
The successful candidate will possess a broad range of expertise relating to the analysis and assessment of molecular and cellular profiling platforms, contemporary patient selection and biomarker development strategies, and use of predictive computational methods in translational research.
Dual-reporting to both the Head of Precision Medicine & Companion Diagnostics and the Principal Scientist, TDD Informatics, priority aspects and requirements of the role include:
- Deep understanding and interpretation of therapeutic MOA across a broad range of late stage translational development programs.
- Expertise in analytical assessment of molecular and cellular profiling data drawn from patient samples using both well-established and novel platforms.
- Previous experience in cancer and biomarker research, including successful development of patient selection devices.
- Ability to guide and inform internal partners from R/ED, program teams, clinical development and biostatistics, plus external vendors and development partners.
- Background in biologically informed disease stratification, enrichment of patient response to therapy, and encapsulation of complex therapeutic mechanisms.
As part of the RIKU organization, an additional component of the role will be to partner with Research Analytics group colleagues to integrate and leverage new collections and sources of patient profiling and clinical data to drive patient selection research across the organization.
The position would suit an individual with demonstrated scientific experience and excellent communication and collaboration skills. Keen interest in inter-disciplinary application of computational methods to life sciences data is imperative. The role involves a considerable element of hands-on analytical research.
Applications are encouraged from those looking to impact delivery of truly innovative and life-changing therapies for complex diseases of unmet medical need.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop patient-centric patient selection strategies, in close collaboration with Celgene colleagues and external partners.
- Pursue and leading computational research towards key Celgene scientific objectives.
- Partner with TDD & RIKU colleagues in data-driven evaluation of biomarker platforms and protocols.
- Partner with TDD & RIKU colleagues to drive translation of computational patient selection and disease stratification research into clinically applicable diagnostics.
- Integrate data across assay platforms and between pre-clinical experiments and clinical trials.
- Lead and provide support during the transfer of computational algorithms to external vendors for development of precision medicine diagnostics
- Publication standard presentation of strategies, approaches, results and conclusions to Celgene colleagues and external audiences,
- Contribute to enable strategic data and informatics collaborations with academic and commercial collaborators to benefit therapeutic programs.
PhD and Post-doctoral experience in relevant discipline
Background experience & complementary knowledge:
- A Ph.D. in computational biology, bioinformatics, biophysics or related field from a recognized higher-education establishment.
- 6+ years post-doctoral experience of inter-disciplinary computational and molecular/chemical biology research in university, hospital or biotechnology environments.
- Experience developing and applying multi-omic molecular patient selection markers in the clinic for patient benefit.
- Experience in pharmaceutical informatics research with track record of enabling data-driven decisions for patient benefit and peer-reviewed publication in relevant scientific journals.
- Expertise in algorithmic implementation, statistical programming and data manipulation, using e.g. R/Bioconductor, Matlab, Python, and contemporary, open-source bioinformatics tools and database structures.
- Proven problem-solving skills, collaborative nature and adaptability across disciplines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluent verbal and written English language skills prerequisite.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.