ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (5-year tenure track) in Marketing
As a tenure-track Assistant Professor, you will conduct scholarly research, teach courses and supervise students, engage in international collaboration and research projects, and carry out some service/administrative tasks. Being a tenure-track position, the employment is for a fixed term of 5 years. After the 5-year period, you will have the opportunity to get tenured into a permanent position of associate professor (and later into a position of full professor), upon fulfilling the university's criteria for career advancement in terms of high-quality research and publications, teaching, and service.
We are interested in recruiting a marketing scholar of high international standard and potential, and welcome applications from candidates from varied research orientations/sub-fields within the marketing discipline. International candidates are warmly welcomed to apply. In terms of research themes/expertise, we especially encourage applications from candidates with orientation towards the focus areas of the Department's Marketing subject and its CERS research centre (see below). You can find more information about the university, the Department, and the subject of Marketing at https://www.hanken.fi/en/about-hanken/organisation/departments-and-subjects/department-marketing. Detailed information about the research efforts of the subject of Marketing can be found on the website of its research centre CERS Centre for Relationship Marketing and Service Management: www.cers.fi.
The location of the position is in Helsinki, the capital of Finland. Helsinki has been regarded as one of the most liveable cities in the world (http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2016/08/daily-chart-14; https://monocle.com/film/affairs/most-liveable-city-helsinki/). Finland, as a country, is ranked as the best-governed country in the world (http://www.prosperity.com/rankings), as well as among the top 5 happiest countries (http://worldhappiness.report/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/03/HR17.pdf) - due to, inter alia, high level of equality and safety; free, high-quality education at both primary, secondary, and university levels; affordable healthcare and childcare; and competitiveness and innovativeness of the business sector.
As assistant professor, you will be responsible for:
- Conducting research that meets high international standards and publishing your research in high-quality journals as well as communicating the results of your work to the business community and society at large;
- Contributing to the research efforts and the development of new research capabilities of the Department as well as cooperating within the research community of the Department;
- Contributing to the competence development of students by providing course teaching and supervision of BSc, MSc, and PhD theses;
- Contributing to the development of the curriculum and teaching capabilities of the Department;
- Contributing to international collaboration and applications of externally-funded research projects;
- Contributing to the service and administration of the Department and the School.
The annual working time in the position is 1624 hours. During semesters, you are expected to spend a minimum average of three days per week at the Department in Helsinki in order to actively contribute to the research and teaching environment. Teaching tasks are allocated based on the curriculum needs of the Department and by considering your expertise. The recruited candidate is expected to later learn basics of Swedish language.
As eligibility requirements, applicants are required to have (a) a PhD degree in marketing or closely related major at the time of employment as well as (b) fluent command of English. Beyond these requirements, further qualifications considered as merits when evaluating and ranking the applicants are:
- existing academic publications;
- high-quality plans and high potential for future academic research projects and publications (incl. publications in preparation and “pipeline”);
- high fit between the candidate's extant and future research/publications and the Marketing subject's research focus areas, in terms of (i) service business and philosophy, or specific themes related to (ii) customers and relations (e.g., customer experience and value formation), (iii) marketing logics and strategizing (e.g., executives' strategizing about customers and markets), (iv) business, markets and societal dynamics (e.g., new business models and innovations; digital/mobile service platforms; sustainable marketing), or (v) marketing effectiveness and profitability (e.g., marketing metrics, service productivity, earnings and pricing models). (See https://www.hanken.fi/en/node/860809 for more information about the research focus areas of the Marketing subject and CERS, as well as the “Nordic School” research tradition http://hdl.handle.net/10138/156531); and
- teaching experience in varied courses in marketing, experience of supervising students, and teaching skills (incl. pedagogical studies).
- Swedish language skills are also considered a merit (albeit not mandatory).
Given the researcher focus of the tenure track, strong merits related to the first three qualifications above are prioritized in evaluating and ranking applicants. The applicant should him/herself pinpoint and describe the fit between the focus areas of the Marketing subject and his/her research efforts, publication track record and pipeline, and teaching experience in the application documents (see below).
Applicants may be invited to an interview with the Head of Department and recruitment team in person or through videoconferencing. The final short-listed candidates will be invited for a campus visit and teaching demonstration at Hanken School of Economics in Helsinki.
The salary for the tenure-track Assistant Professor is based on the university salary system in Finland (including employee healthcare as well as pension and holiday contributions); the exact salary level depends upon the recruited individual's qualifications and performance. Beyond the salary, the university's foundation grants faculty members substantial publication awards for high-quality publications.
Enquiries may be directed to the Head of Department, Professor Jaakko Aspara (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or to the Head of Subject of Marketing, Associate Professor Johanna Gummerus (email@example.com). Applicants are welcomed to submit applications already during July, and encouraged to enquire about possibility to meet the recruitment team in person at conferences (e.g., American Marketing Association Summer Educators' conference; IMP conference; Frontiers of Service; other service conferences).
An application letter, including the following attachments,
- Publication list
- Selected recent publications (max. 5 in number)
- Teaching portfolio (i.e. experience and philosophies of teaching and curriculum development; possible student feedback; pedagogical studies/qualifications)
- Research statement/plans (i.e. description of research and publication projects in planning, in preparation, and in pipeline; incl. funding obtained for these) -indicating also how the candidate's research fits with the focus areas of the Marketing subject
should be submitted via Hanken's web page (https://www.hanken.fi/en/node/4879) by September 15th, 2017. All the above attachments are mandatory, for the applicant to be considered for the position. In addition, other relevant documents (e.g., certificates, recommendations) may be submitted with the application.
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and