Field Service Engineer
With more than 60 years of innovation and leadership, Thermo Fisher Scientific enables customers to find meaningful answers to questions that accelerate breakthrough discoveries, increase productivity, and ultimately change the world. FEI designs, manufactures, and supports the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales.?xml:namespace prefix = "o" /
Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets, the worldwide Thermo Fisher team is dedicated to customers' pursuit of discovery and resolution to global challenges.
The Sales and Service Division (SSD) of Thermo Fisher is charged with selling and servicing Thermo Fisher products in geographical territories worldwide. The SSD Organization serves as the primary Thermo Fisher contact to both potential customers and current customers alike, providing a range of value-added products and services and maintaining the highest levels of customer satisfaction.
The Field Service Engineer is responsible for performing the on-site installation, servicing and repair of complex equipment and systems. Investigates and approves operational quality of system equipment. Instructs customers in the operation and maintenance of the system. Serves as company liaison with customer on administrative and technical matters for assigned projects. Conducts on-site installations of the full range of Thermo Fisher systems and their associated options.
Responsibilities and deliverables include:
- Conduct on-site installation of complex equipment and follow testing procedures to ensure proper working order
- Conduct on-site scheduled planned maintenance visits
- Provide troubleshooting and repair support for customers and other field service personnel
- Cultivate and develop positive working relationships with customers, system users and company personnel
- Travel, often on short notice, to customer sites to resolve problems or support other field service personnel
- Complete and submit field service reports
- Provide training for customers and users on system maintenance
- Provide feedback to product quality teams
- Provide appropriate input in writing updating and correcting various Thermo Fisher system documentation
- Provide input for various reports including identifying and isolating unique problems with system
- Act as a subject expert and resource for training
This position is ideal for an experienced service engineer wanting to be involved with a dynamic team and exposed to a constant variety of customer application areas.
The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
- Typically requires a University degree or equivalent experience in electronic system troubleshooting
- Typically requires approximately 10 years hands on technical experience installing, troubleshooting, repairing and calibrating complex analysis tools such as SEM, TEM, FIB or similar systems.
- Must have a thorough understanding and extensive experience troubleshooting and repairing ultra-high vacuum and high voltage systems.
- Ability to deal effectively with customers
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Proven ability to troubleshooting complex systems and subsystems down to component level
- Literate in MS DOS and Windows software environments
- Able to read and interpret schematics
- Familiar with UHV phenomenon and technology
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally-protected status.
This position requires a criminal history background check. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the applicant from employment. A drug screen will also be administered.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.