The Henry M Jackson Foundation is seeking a Staff Scientist to support TBI research at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Science (USUHS) in Bethesda, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to USUHS. Responsible for research and/or development in collaboration with other scientific and technical staff. Seeking a highly motivated individual who is, intellectually curious professional interested in conducting cutting edge research in morphological data processing, structural data science interpretation leading to developing an intramural or extramurally supported research portfolio. This individual will support multiple projects that require structural data processing, and will work with senior investigators to research, develop and evaluate algorithms for a variety of image and signal processing applications. This person may also support numerical analysis and simulation on projects involving a variety of neuroinflammatory related phenomena. The successful candidate will have a solid background in applied image processing, statistics, signal processing, and quantification of image and signaling data. The ideal candidate would have experience writing scientific software and applying such software tools for 3 dimensional visualization and quantification.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Participate and contribute as an important team member on multi-disciplinary research relating to applying technological skills to solving program project and its extramural extension needs.
- Provide technical, analytical and numerical support for research and development projects in the areas of bio-mathematics, statistics, programming and signal processing.
- Derive, implement and evaluate routines for reconstruction and analysis of 3-dimesional morphological data acquired by optical and fluorescent microscopy, 3-dimesnional processing of MRI/PET data and signal processing algorithms, prepare routines to be used by team members for image quantification and data visualization.
- Develop prototype software and evaluate performance on data and prepare software for semiautomatic data analysis.
- Contribute technical expertise to symposia, journal articles, and technical reports.
- Prepare and deliver reports or presentations of research projects/analysis results to project sponsors as needed.
- Contribute to the generation of proposals and external funding.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of imaging and other related laboratory protocols; ability to meet deadlines of projects; excellent interpersonal, oral/written, and presentation communication skills, demonstrated ability to participate in team projects. Ability to clearly communicate complex ideas at meetings and symposia, high motivation and ability for multitasking performance.
PhD degree in bio-mathematics, statistics, computer science, electrical or biomedical engineering, or a similar related field, and 0-2 years related research experience either as part of degree program or post-degree.
- Experience in morphological and image data and signal processing, algorithm development, and statistical analysis using advanced mathematical concepts.
- Experience implementing mathematical algorithms in prototype software, such as MatLab, ImageJ, IDL, Python or R and machine learning algorithms.
- Experience with the systematic evaluation of signal/data processing algorithms. Experience evaluating the performance of algorithms on simulated and/or measured data.
- Experience in image registration between multimodality biomedical imaging systems (i.e. MRI/PET to histology). Experience with the development and application of imaging algorithms.
- Experience with the development and application of detection and classification algorithms.
- Experience in the development of new proposals for external funding. Experience managing and conducting analysis projects.
- Experience with MR/PET imaging, multi-photon microscopy
Physical Capabilities: requires long periods of sitting and standing; handling of various chemicals
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: supervises junior laboratory staff or graduate/medical students.
Work Environment: laboratory environment
Principal Investigators: Dr. Zygmunt Galdzicki, Dr. Daniel Perl & Dr. Bernard Dardzinski
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.